WD Passport Works after Head Stuck

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I just had the most amazing thing happen today. Had a WD Passport drive come in with heads stuck to the platters. I freed it up which went very smoothly. Plugged it in via USB (just to see what it would do) and the the thing just outright works! I'm about 20% cloned now just through the USB connected to the host coputer and it's only hit a couple bad sectors. Amazing!

I've never had a passport go so easy before, they always seem to need new heads whenever I get them. Just thought I'd share.

pclab

I got one also with head stuck.
I will have to open it and see if it can be freed too. I hope so heheeh

HaQue

there is an old saying, don't count your chickens before they hatch ;)

but good luck hope it goes all the way through, nice to have something go well occasionally!!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It was over 70% and still going strong when I finally left the office. Even if it craps out now, it's enough data to get paid. Chicken = Counted :)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
With this one I just spun the platters gently and moved it back to the ramp. But it didn't have far to go.

Jared":3p767gas said:
With this one I just spun the platters gently and moved it back to the ramp. But it didn't have far to go.

Jared ,
Most of the WDC do not work that way .Before ertools i used to remove ramp carefully take out heads off platter put ramp back put heads back on ramp