Why Dishonest People Make All The Money

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So the other day a customer brings in a older 250Gb Maxtor external hard drive which practically took a crowbar to open. Finally I get around to testing the internal IDE drive inside and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just a bad USB bridge. I'd be willing to bet that more that 50% of data recovery companies would still quote several hundred $$$ for doing essentially nothing.

Why do I have to be the honest guy who always tells people the truth? I'd make so much more money if I were a rotten cheat too.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Sheesh! Just got another one in like that. This time it's a laptop drive from an Apple and the customer was told by the "Genius" bar they couldn't recover the data. Yet, it's perfectly fine. Two in one day that don't have any issues.

If I were one of the guys from this video I'd be rich by now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI46DmVj3jA

LarrySabo

I get it fairly often. Customer comes in having gotten quotes from one of the big box stores or a local DR shop, with quotes of $1,200 CAD. They said they were told it needed "clean room" work, hence the high cost. In every such case, it needed no such thing and the data was recovered for $300 or so. What goes around comes around; a pox on their business.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
True, at least I sleep good at night knowing I'll never end up on one of those videos. And I get to keep a clean conscience. I do honestly believe that most people get into data recovery work by trying to help people. But, I think many just start falling into the temptation to grab quick money from people who don't know any better and become crooks.

lcoughey

If I find no error, I let the client know and offer to do a full backup to another drive for them and hold onto the clone for two weeks for $150. If they decline, we erase the clone as soon as the drive leaves our lab and if it was an intermittent issue that shows itself again, they pay the full price upon return.