Remote Flash Recovery Concept

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just a though. Some of us, myself included, haven't had the time/resources ($$$) to invest heavily into flash recovery yet. However, when the occasion arises would like to be able to handle it "in-house" rather than mailing out.

So my concept is, were I to purchase a USB NAND reader such as this one: http://www.flash-extractor.com/shop/
and combine it with USB over network software such as this: http://www.usb-over-network.com/usb-over-network.html

Would it be possible for someone (with more experience, software, etc.) to remotely get the dumps they need and reconstruct the data?

Anyone ever tried anything like this? I just know that some customers don't feel comfortable mailing out (especially out of the country), but if the chip(s) physically remained in-house they might feel more comfortable (even though the data clearly would be going out). Plus as flash/SSD recoveries become the mainstream it may be that those of us in more expensive parts of the world find it financially beneficial to outsource some of this tedious work to places with lower typical pay rates.

Thoughts/Ideas?

HaQue

I would be interested in this.

BTW you don't need to do USB over network, simply setup a cheap i5 pc with plenty of HDD and RAM and teamviewer will be good.

USB over LAN wont help when needing to analyse dumps, so they would still needed to be d/l to my computer for analysis and data mix/image creation.. so may as well do the lot through teamviewer.

Also this is already happening a bit around the place. I have got dumps from other labs, and also have quite a few DR Labs in AU sending me chips to recover.

BTW, I have seen Arvika offer this before and I am pretty sure Dmitri as well, and I am not sure of the nick on HDGuru, but "Monolith" or sunnydreamspace does as well.

lcoughey

The challenge is to have all the right adapters...something soft center is seriously lacking. I think you'd be better buying an entire kit from Rusolut and do just seek assistance on the devices you can't figure out.

HaQue

Agree, the RuSolut solution for reading chips is great. A full range of adapters already, nice fast reading, a really good method of analysing what power levels work best without reading the chip first and easy power setting.

I firmly believe that anyone wanting to do Flash DR needs to have a guy on it all the time.. someone who is hungry to learn. it is one truckload of cans of worms (and the cans have no labels!)

arvika

I try it with Soft-center reader. It works BUT! You must run software with YOUR license file. So people on other site see your license file and in my opinion it is not good. You can do it for trusted friend, but not for anyone. For VNR I think it will be too complicated because after connection you must set new license file. But should work.
Of course I do not prefer something like that. Few reason:
- it is probably not consistent with license rules
- other people see your license key etc
- it is usually time consuming (configure connection, license, etc)
- bitmap mode (VNR, PC3K will work slow via TV connection)

IMHO better idea is buying chip reader and upload dumps to FTP.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I just know that sometimes you need to get several dumps of the same chip to get a good read, so I thought it might be more convenient to have direct USB control of the reader. Uploading the dumps would work too.

I'm really just thinking about doing this as a temporary option to handle them in house until I invest more into it. Obviously the person doing all the reconstructing of the data, would be making the bull's share of the profit.

HaQue

It is nearly double the price of SC's NAND Reader and the only adapter useful is the TSOP48. I am a bit sceptical the WL NANDS and all the one we see in the field would be supported. I think these types of programmers are mainly for firmware type NANDs, embedded flash chips, auto chips etc.

Plus the updates from SC or ruSolut would be much more frequent, and specificly useful to us.

Personally I would only get a reader from a Flash recovery tool vendor.