Database Software to Keep Track of HDD Inventory

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Three questions:

1. Does anyone know of any good software to do this?
2. If I hire a database guy to build an app, would anyone be interested in paying a few bucks for a copy?
3. If you answered yes to question #2, what specifics specifics would you want to see in the database?

My stock has recently gotten out of hand, and I really need a better system.

HaQue

Once you have it entered into anything, excel, Google spreadsheet, access, SQL whatever, writing a report sheet or edit form is easy as well. You would save a ton of money splitting the tasks, and also there are services online where you can hire a coder to do something small, usually pretty cheap. hardest part IMHO is your job - figuring out exactly what you want and formulating the design specs so the coder can just code it, without a loss of time trying to work back and fro tweaking. I have done a few projects like this, custom bits and pieces for retail, and most times the intial idea fleshes out very differently.

cant help with where, how or who, it has been too long, but just some thoughts

pclab

When I was searching for a "comercial" solution I didn't find none.
The solution was to make my own on Access. It works pretty well actually, not a very good GUI, but it works.
The hardest part is to enter all the details of the drives.....

jerovsek

put everything on paper, what exactly you wish
if you need only HDD inventory, then start with excel, define all interesting parameters
later you can normalize everything and import to database

LarrySabo

I built my own using OpenOffice Base. Not pretty but it serves its purpose. A barcode scanner helped a lot with data entry but it was still time-consuming. Writing macros to sort/select records was too much of a challenge, so I usually just end up filtering the table to find what I'm after. It would have been good to have different capture and search forms for each drive brand, so I could search on criteria relevant for head matching, yet not capture irrelevant data for other brands.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about that. But it doesn't keep track of some of the specs I'd like to be able to search by.

I've got a friend who's an SQL guru and app developer, and is currently unemployed. I'm gonna see if we can work up a solution.

lcoughey

Jared":1ec88fg4 said:
I thought about that. But it doesn't keep track of some of the specs I'd like to be able to search by.

I've got a friend who's an SQL guru and app developer, and is currently unemployed. I'm gonna see if we can work up a solution.
Really? They even include fields for microjogs. What specs would you require?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Well, not so much that you can't enter the specs. But you can't search just your own inventory. Finding my own drives faster is ultimately what I'm hoping to accomplish. Plus I want to be able to keep notes about things like bad sectors, etc.

lcoughey

Yes you can, they added that feature a long time ago after I requested it. When you are logged in, there is a check box to filter your inventory in the search.