Repair shop removed the label

slingshot

Got this little gem that had been to another repair shop, obviously missing its label.

Drive is horribly unstable but SA is fine.

3K ID's it as per the label :lol: :lol: but I'm a bit confused as the label gives me the idea its a 160GB drive yet the 3K shows it to be 1TB drive.

Long story short, I need to match a donor yet the model number takes me down the 160GB route :?

Anybody know the likely DCM headmap for this thing, or possible matching donors I could try ?

Model : WDC WD1600BEVT-00A23T0
Serial : WD-WXE1A10S4950
Firmware : 01.01A01
Capacity : 1 000 GB (1 953 525 168)

IMG_4677.JPGIMG_4675.JPG

pclab

Can it be that the label is not from that HDD?
Check the PCB model if it fits other Jamaica drives.

lcoughey

pclab":2rjskg9p said:
Can it be that the label is not from that HDD?
Check the PCB model if it fits other Jamaica drives.
Based on Larry's SN check from the end of the drive, it is definitely a 160GB Jamaica.

slingshot

thats a neat little trick, thanks for that larry.

wonder what could be causing the drives capacity to show up as 1TB though

pclab

You checked the serial on the label... Can you trust it's the original label?
That's why I told you to check the PCB...
Jamaica PCB's are 2061-771672. The one from your drive is the same?

slingshot

pclab":g4o8rlah said:
You checked the serial on the label... Can you trust it's the original label?
That's why I told you to check the PCB...
Jamaica PCB's are 2061-771672. The one from your drive is the same?

It gets worse, but this drive is not the drive that needed recovery.

This drive was used to replace the switched out drive so the repair shop could keep it. :!:

Detective hat had to be worn for this one, but the bottom line is the shop took the customers faulty drive and tried to fix it by..... formatting it :eek:

Unable to fix it by formatting it, they decided to keep it for themselves and turned it into a windows 10 install disk (occupying a 32GB partition). The drive has got 2 bad heads, has had the first 32 GB overwritten and the rest of the space formatted... Hmmm the small part of the 'customer wants his data' seemed to have been overlooked, wtf ?

Certainly won't be the cleanest of recoveries, if indeed I can get anything the customer actually wants. :roll:

slingshot

Definitely, but I've no time to deal with that drive at the moment, it's in the project box to be revisited in quieter times.