Data recovered from HDD doesn't have contents

Rossykemp

Hi, this is my first post on the site so I appreciate any help I can get on the subject.

I am trying to recover files from a HDD with a RAW partition using Stellar Data Recovery (and also EaseUS). I'm finding that although I am able to identify pretty much every file on the hard drive (all 900+GB), the files once recovered more times than not will not hold any contents - such as note files will open but no writing will be inside and most of the time audio files and images will open in the software assigned but no content will be there to view or hear.

I don't have much experience at all recovering hard drives, but some information on the drive being corrupted (to my first attention): I had a Windows 10 update, the laptop shut down and once it powered on again the laptop would not run its OS. I tried troubleshooting online and with Windows Live chat and even tried installing Windows again, but the hard drive would not finish the installation. Now I am using a USB to Sata cable to connect it to the new laptop I have. Both the previous hard drive and the new laptop are using Windows 10.

If you have any suggestions of different methods I may be able to recover the files considering the information above that would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I can actually view all of the files (and there are a lot) when using Stellar and EaseUS and nothing is labelled wrong etc. The Note files in particular would be great to recover if anyone has any tricks to try for that specifically.

I also hear people saying it's best to create a copy of the hard drive or a disk image? To prevent damage being caused when trying to recover my files? If I'm not wanting a copy of my OS and just want to recover files specifically is this still recommended?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!