When SuperClone Breaks A Drive - What Then?

abrogard

Not really 'broke a drive' . But kind of.

I have a Western Digital 2T that was a Win10 system disk and suddenly couldn't be read, couldn't even be seen by Windows.

Put it in my LinuxMint box and found it could be seen but could not be mounted fully - only as read only.

But mounted read only was good enough for SuperClone to clone it onto a fresh new Hard Drive.

And that's where it gets interesting because now the new drive cannot be mounted except read only.

It looks like it wasn't a hardware fault, isn't a hardware fault, it is something to do with the software, the data that SuperClone wrote on the disk.

So maybe if I simply use SuperClone again and clone a working drive onto it - the LinuxMint drive for instance, that will fix it, both of them, the original WD 'broken' drive and the clone - a Seagate 2T? What would you think?

Or perhaps someone with a deeper knowledge than mine can see a quicker, easier way to fix that problem?

lcoughey

If you did a drive clone and didn't encounter any bad sectors along the way, the likely reason for your drive being read-only is because of underlying file system issues. So, when you did a sector-by-sector copy to another drive, you made an identical copy of the file system, including the issues it would have had on the original drive.

This is not a bad thing. You should always make a backup of a drive before trying to fix file system issues anyway. So, now google your way through fixing the file system on one of the drives, setting the other aside as a backup, just in case you mess up. Alternatively, if you are just looking to recover the files off the drive, you are probably better off just using a data recovery program (UFS Explorer, R-Studio, GetDataBack, etc) to save the files from the corrupt drive to a freshly formatted destination drive.

abrogard

Yep. Thanks for that. Any special route going to be needed for the formatting seeing as it can't be mounted read/write or that wouldn't be an issue for the formatting prog?

Not much chance of fixing the file issue. I've been searching and posting on forums including this one and no one seems to have any clues at all about this particular problem. Our computer shop decided the drive was at fault and were about to replace it for me. They couldn't get the data off it they said.

Well I've got the data but I'm no closer to a fix.

I just googled formatting on Linux and it doesn't seem to be any problem. so that is what i will do. :)