PCB compatibility

rutxwjuh

I've got two WDX0EFRZ, both 68EUZNO. The only apparent difference is one having been made in 2014, the other in 2015.

One is a working drive with valuable data but has a damaged PCB model 2060-771945-002-A.
The other one is not functional (impact damage) but has an intact PCB model 2060-771945-001-A.

1: I'm hoping to be able to simply transfer the contents of the BIOS chip from one to the other, are the PCBs otherwise compatible?
2: Is it possible to glean the serial number of the source drive from a BIOS dump? Would help me organize some loose PCBs, haven't found the SN thus far.
3: Anyone know of a PCB compatible with 2060-771824-003-P1 (WDX0EZRX-00DC0B0)

Thank you and happy Presidents Day.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
1. Yes, they should be compatible after transferring the ROM contents. The minor revision after the hyphen rarely matters.
2. The serial number isn't in the ROM, but I think the DCX number might be, if you see that printed on the label.
3. Just another 2060-771824

LarrySabo

It's not obscured at all. Just open the ROM file in a hex editor and search, in hex, with part of the WWN . When it finds it, verify that the full WNN matches.

rutxwjuh

That is exactly what I've attempted to do :)

I can find the MDL string and the FW version but nothing like the WWN.

rutxwjuh

LarrySabo said:
It's not obscured at all. Just open the ROM file in a hex editor and search, in hex, with part of the WWN . When it finds it, verify that the full WNN matches.

I've dumped the contents of every single WD drive I've been able to get my hands and looked through each without finding else than the drive model, firmware revision and "ROYL" followed by eight digits.

Are other identifiers stored in compressed form? Is there some tool that can parse the ROM dumps?

LarrySabo

See HDDOracle.com for fzabkar's tutorials on analyzing ROMs. I have no idea why you are having problems finding the WWN value in ROM dumps. What are you using to read and save ROMs? To be clear, it's the ROM.bin file you are searching with a hex editor?