Any success with the old WD400BB-xxxxxx drives?

jcarlosmor

Hi to everyone,

Does anybody remember some success cases with the old-good-times WD400BB drives? (or should I say the old-bad-screw-case-times WD400BB drives?, We all know about that evil headstack assembly screw on the cover, but that is another story...)

I am trying to do a head swap for a WD400BB-00JKC0.

I have plenty of donors in stock (not of the exact 00JKC0, but of the same Sabre53 family), and -not surprisingly- the DCMs do not represent an exact description of the inside mechanical hardware. So, even for identical DCMs, I have headstacks with only one upper head (facing the top side of the plate), headstacks with only one downside head (facing the bottom side of the plate), and my patient has a headstack with both (upper and downside) heads.

I am wondering, why for the same capacity (40 GB), WD400 used some headstack models with only one head, and another with two heads. In the assembly plant, should be common practice to use a dual head (for availability) and turnoff in software the another remaining head, so only one side of the platter is used to read/write data?

After dozens of WD400BB opened, my experience is that a single head reading/writing on only one side of the plate is more common, but I may be wrong...

Thank you in advance for any help.
Regards.

PS. (no, I do not have any meaning to know head mapping. Hardware tools will need to wait until next year)