ddrescue cloning disk to disk. I cannot see anything in the new disk why?

libelula

Hi everyone,

I have a failing disk 1TB which does a bit of noise so I decide to use ddrescue to clone disk to disk the failing disk into a new WD 1TB. I was expecting to see information in the new disk while cloning but i cannot see anything at all in it. It looks empty, in fact the cloning process stopped because i moved the old disk and I checked if there was something in the new disk and there was nothing!!! Why, what is happening? I continued the cloning again using the log file. The cloning goes very slow in 24 hours just 25GB has been cloned, but I cannot see anything in the new disk.

In the past when I created an image instead of cloning I could see how the image file was growing and even if I finished the creation of the image half way I could get info from the image.

What is happening? I dont want to be cloning a disk for 2 months a no info being stored in the new disk

Thanks so much in advance

libelula

I have a failing disk 1TB which does a bit of noise so I decide to use ddrescue to clone disk to disk the failing disk into a new WD 1TB. I was expecting to see information in the new disk while cloning but i cannot see anything at all in it. It looks empty, in fact the cloning process stopped because i moved the old disk and I checked if there was something in the new disk and there was nothing!!! Why, what is happening? I continued the cloning again using the log file. The cloning goes very slow in 24 hours just 25GB has been cloned, but I cannot see anything in the new disk.

In the past when I created an image instead of cloning I could see how the image file was growing and even if I finished the creation of the image half way I could get info from the image.

What is happening? I dont want to be cloning a disk for 2 months a no info being stored in the new disk

Thanks so much in advance

jol

open the destination drive with n hex editor n check if there in new data on it
BTW keep in mind that its not inevitable that the source drive will/can die in the process
so if there is valuable data on it u should consider a pro data recovery