FireCuda 2T ST2000LX001 fails to spin up ...

johnnyBrandom

Trying to recover data on 2TB Firecuda using only terminal (no special tools). I am able to see the drive attempt to boot up via the terminal port but it fails quickly and will not allow me to enter any terminal commands:

Code:
Boot 0x80M
           DensityList:0x0000
PrgF
LED:0x000000BD FAddr:0x000059D8

(1Ah)-Serial Port Not Ready

It just keeps printing the LED refrain slowly over and over and reporting "Serial Port Not Ready" on Ctrl-z (or any input).

I'm pretty sure my data is unharmed and, based on failure scenario and reading other diagnostic posts, I think this problem is all in the circuit board and not the drive mechanism. Failure scenario was not a result of any electrical or physical disturbance - system just froze up and then would not reboot during otherwise normal operation.

Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated. I can't afford the prices I was quoted for professional recovery. The drive was less than 2 years old when it failed.

Thanks.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
johnnyBrandom":2pqu00i7 said:
[post]14486[/post] Trying to recover data on 2TB Firecuda using only terminal (no special tools)
It's not possible.

johnnyBrandom":2pqu00i7 said:
[post]14486[/post] I think this problem is all in the circuit board
It's not, the problem is in the firmware code which is stored on the platters.

Most likely the terminal is locked anyway, even if it was coming ready enough to initiate it. So you'd need a tool like PC-3000 to even attempt such a case.

johnnyBrandom

So you'd need a tool like PC-3000 to even attempt such a case.

I see. So it might be possible if I had access to a machine like PC-3000 then? Is there an inexpensive system that the experts here recommend that might be able to help me (I assume that PC-3000 is very expensive sine they don't list the price on their site - more than the $600+ Seagate wants to repair my drive)?

Most likely the terminal is locked anyway

Can you recommend a way to unlock the terminal? I assume the PC-3000 can do this - are there other tools that will too?

Thanks for your guidance.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
johnnyBrandom":3op6y7dq said:
[post]14490[/post] I assume that PC-3000 is very expensive

Think in terms of $7,000 to $12,000 depending on the config you order.

[post]14490[/post] I assume the PC-3000 can do this
PC-3000 can do a lot, but there are still some cases that are beyond recovery even with it. It just depends on what's damaged in the hard drives service area and if it can be fixed up. But, to even get a proper diagnosis would require a tool like that. Before you can even diagnose it, you'd need to modify the ROM code to unlock the terminal, which only a couple tools can actually even do it.

[post]14490[/post] Is there an inexpensive system
Not one that's going to cost you less than $600

hdd00

That's a Rosewood SSHD....Even PC3000 can't handle those drives yet....So your choices are very limited.

Blizzard

johnnyBrandom":2y4a3x94 said:
That's a Rosewood SSHD....Even PC3000 can't handle those drives yet
Maybe that has changed? According to a recent blog entry, they can do them now:
https://blog.acelaboratory.com/pc-3000-for-hdd-seagate-f3-unlocking-the-rosewood-drives.html
Perhaps limited to certain models? In any case, it looks like they are making progress. In any case, too pricey for my means/needs.
Thanks again.
Unfortunately that article is 2 years old, from when they cracked the standard Rosewood models. Unlocking the Firecuda SSHD models are still not supported by PC-300 as far as I know.