seagate system 28 35 files

kilgor

I've got a patient seagate rosewood st1000lm035 which its system 28, 35 and 348 are completely gone. ACE tech support suggested me to swap heads for it. Are there any other solutions instead of head swap.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If the heads are bad, what other fix are you expecting to find other than to replace the bad part?

kilgor

well as far as I know head conditions are good, but to rebuild these files they told me to replace heads, so disk can rewrite its new system files. I was hoping to trick the disk that I reinstalled new heads so disk can rewrite system files

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you've got heads in there that aren't a close enough match to actually write data to the SA. No other option than to replace again with a closer match.

Blizzard

kilgor":1xucuwb5 said:
well as far as I know head conditions are good, but to rebuild these files they told me to replace heads, so disk can rewrite its new system files. I was hoping to trick the disk that I reinstalled new heads so disk can rewrite system files
Ace was not suggesting that you replace the heads because firmware needs to detect that there are different heads, they suggested it because the current heads could not write to the service area. If your current heads are original it's possible the write heads are weak. In the case of weak heads a fresh donor might be able to write to the service area. If you have donor heads in there already, it's possible another pair will line up more like the original and be able to write to the service area. The close tolerance the heads operate at mean one donor can sometimes work better than another. The manufacturing process does not produce exact same alignment at this tolerance. Consider the reason for head adaptives that are specific to each drive and it starts making more sense. Hope that helps a little.

kilgor

Blizzard":3emra5eq said:
kilgor":3emra5eq said:
Ace was not suggesting that you replace the heads because firmware needs to detect that there are different heads, they suggested it because the current heads could not write to the service area. If your current heads are original it's possible the write heads are weak. In the case of weak heads a fresh donor might be able to write to the service area. If you have donor heads in there already, it's possible another pair will line up more like the original and be able to write to the service area. The close tolerance the heads operate at mean one donor can sometimes work better than another. The manufacturing process does not produce exact same alignment at this tolerance. Consider the reason for head adaptives that are specific to each drive and it starts making more sense. Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for your great informative reply. I will keep in mind and work with it :)
have a nice day:)