New 4.70 firmware and DRE available

slingshot

[nfo]At last :cool:[/nfo]

DDI4 & DRE V4.70 is now available! All users with an active software update license can now install the new update. If your license is expired, renewal costs $350US per DDI4 for 1 year.

This version requires both the firmware and software to be updated, as described in the user manual and shown in this video (Windows 7/10 x64/x86 can all be used for updating): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmunl_lBiCU.

DDI4 improvements:

Any storage device visible by motherboard BIOS can now be used as the Destination drive (whether it’s a USB drive, SATA drive, etc.). Note: this works well on most systems, but it’s possible some motherboards/BIOSes could present unexpected issues.

Maximum imaging speed increased from ~90MB/s to ~130MB/s when the Destination is a SATA drive connected directly to the motherboard. Note: most motherboards built on Intel Z97, Z170, Z270, or Z370 chipsets allow 130MB/s, but if you have an older board then it may not be capable of achieving this speed.

Major rework of communication over PCIe interface to improve stability, particularly with newer motherboards. “ATA Interface Issues!” errors should no longer happen, unless there is an issue with destination drive.

Major USB Add-on stability improvements. USB drives which suddenly fail to respond to all commands should now be correctly repowered.

Implemented error handling algorithm for headmap building. The process should no longer stop due to intermittent errors part of the way through.

Maximum read block size increased from 120 to 128 sectors.

Ctrl + Shift + t shows map statistics for selected area only.

Forensics Add-on: MD5 is now calculated for every range of good sectors, instead of stopping calculation at the first bad sector.

Minor bug fixes.

DRE Improvements:

New DRE Control Panel which shows the status of all DDIs on the network and allows sending automated emails when DDIs become idle.

DRE now shows the imaging speed graph, to better identify when the drive is degrading and/or going through a problematic area.

Improved file system scanning algorithms, finding more files on partitions with logical corruption.

Minor bug fixes.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, this is the first update so far that will prompt me to pay for the update. i'm still running at version 4.3.3 and haven't seen a feature worth paying the $350 until now.

slingshot

Jared":2cd27h6d said:
Yeah, this is the first update so far that will prompt me to pay for the update. i'm still running at version 4.3.3 and haven't seen a feature worth paying the $350 until now.

I haven't applied it yet, what has tempted you to buy the update ?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
slingshot":2rldh6pw said:
Jared":2rldh6pw said:

I haven't applied it yet, what has tempted you to buy the update ?
Three things. The better handling of USB drives and power cycling them when they go unresponsive (I'd been requesting this feature for some time). The ability to use any connected storage as the destination device. So when its convenient I could just plug in a USB external. Also, the increased speed doesn't hurt.

I'd say that's worth a $350 software update to me.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

slingshot

Have you got the USB add-on for yours ? I must admit when I saw the ability to use anything connected to the mobo as a destination drive I thought that was a good idea. Ive still got a while left on my license so its a bonus for me :) and I'll apply the update sometime this week.

One thing I like about the DDI (in DRE) is the ability to generate a full map of an image and see it all in realtime on 1 screen, I don't think the 3000 can do that, or can it ?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
slingshot":lpgowhtr said:
[post]12429[/post] Have you got the USB add-on for yours ?

Yes, I do. That was the whole reason I bought the tool was for the USB addon.

slingshot

lcoughey":2v7dgx74 said:
I updated a few hours before they released it.

I would expect nothing less, I bet it costs you a small fortune to update all those bad boys :)

Could you give an insight into having the technicians license in R-Studio and what the means for the DDI ? You're the only person I know who's got one. Does it mean you can use R-Studio instead of DRE ? Are there some special benefits for it ?
The license is expensive and I can't splash out on that just to find out I have no use for it.

slingshot

Jared":zxj0ixcc said:
slingshot":zxj0ixcc said:
[post]12429[/post] Have you got the USB add-on for yours ?

Yes, I do. That was the whole reason I bought the tool was for the USB addon.

I was looking at a used one recently but it was so expensive I didn't get it, however I would like to get one at some point.
Do you utilise it instead of pcb swapping ? Does it work with USB pen drives too ? Any hidden plus points for having one ?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
slingshot":jzt37ahh said:
[post]12445[/post] Could you give an insight into having the technicians license in R-Studio and what the means for the DDI ? You're the only person I know who's got one. Does it mean you can use R-Studio instead of DRE ? Are there some special benefits for it ?

If you have the network addon for DDI 4 then R-Studio can directly interface with it and you can scan a bad sector drive in R-Studio just as if it was a healthy drive connected to the computer (since DDI will be doing all the bad sector skipping and whatnot). It's handy when you want to just target certain files/folders and it's a file system that DRE/DDI doesn't support. Honestly, I don't use it very often.