Data Medics Introduction

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, I guess I should introduce myself as well:

My name is Jared and I'm an alcho.... oh wait, wrong forum. :D

But seriously, my name is Jared Palmer, 32 years old and I live in Providence, Rhode Island USA (no it's not really an Island). I've been doing data recovery work for about 7 years. Started off just doing logical recoveries and the occasional PCB replacement. In Jan 2011 I decided to make it a side business (back then I was working as an Electrician/IT guy) so I registered Data Medics LLC, purchased a clean hood, some head replacement tools, and some Salvation Data tools. Initially my efforts (mostly while practicing on junk drives) didn't go so well. I'm not saying that you can't recover data using Salvation Data tools, just that I don't have the patience for it. Only tool I found half way useful was Data Compass which at least paid for itself in the time I had it.

Then a couple years ago, I decided to really ramp things up and make this my main business. So I went ahead and bought PC-3000. At first I didn't know much about how the tool worked so I enlisted the help of Luke from RecoveryForce to work remotely for me while I watched. Seeing the tool in the hands of a real pro, I was able to learn it's functions very quickly. Many thanks to Luke for his help in getting me going there.

Now data recovery is my full time business and even my wife is working with me handling the office side of things. I'm still looking to grow the business customer wise, though I don't plan to ever take on a lot of employees. I'm quite happy to just compete within the local market, I don't need to be like DriveSavers or Kroll. I'd rather focus on good customer service and quality of my work.

I opened this forum because I've often wished that there were a few other data recovery forums to post to for obvious SEO reasons (link building). Having all my links come from hddguru lacks the diversity that google likes to see. So I figured there must be other guys who'd like to see the same thing. I really hope you guys enjoy this forum, we have some really awesome members who've already joined. I'm hoping to keep this a place more geared to discussion between professionals rather than professionals answering amateur questions which is what hddguru often is.

If you have any input or suggestions please feel free to PM me and I'll try to adapt it. I want you all to feel that this is your forum.

Jared":5wammadg said:
Hello, I guess I should introduce myself as well:

My name is Jared and I'm an alcho.... oh wait, wrong forum. :D

But seriously, my name is Jared Palmer, 32 years old and I live in Providence, Rhode Island USA (no it's not really an Island). I've been doing data recovery work for about 7 years. Started off just doing logical recoveries and the occasional PCB replacement. In Jan 2011 I decided to make it a side business (back then I was working as an Electrician/IT guy) so I registered Data Medics LLC, purchased a clean hood, some head replacement tools, and some Salvation Data tools. Initially my efforts (mostly while practicing on junk drives) didn't go so well. I'm not saying that you can't recover data using Salvation Data tools, just that I don't have the patience for it. Only tool I found half way useful was Data Compass which at least paid for itself in the time I had it.

Then a couple years ago, I decided to really ramp things up and make this my main business. So I went ahead and bought PC-3000. At first I didn't know much about how the tool worked so I enlisted the help of Luke from RecoveryForce to work remotely for me while I watched. Seeing the tool in the hands of a real pro, I was able to learn it's functions very quickly. Many thanks to Luke for his help in getting me going there.

Now data recovery is my full time business and even my wife is working with me handling the office side of things. I'm still looking to grow the business customer wise, though I don't plan to ever take on a lot of employees. I'm quite happy to just compete within the local market, I don't need to be like DriveSavers or Kroll. I'd rather focus on good customer service and quality of my work.

I opened this forum because I've often wished that there were a few other data recovery forums to post to for obvious SEO reasons (link building). Having all my links come from hddguru lacks the diversity that google likes to see. So I figured there must be other guys who'd like to see the same thing. I really hope you guys enjoy this forum, we have some really awesome members who've already joined. I'm hoping to keep this a place more geared to discussion between professionals rather than professionals answering amateur questions which is what hddguru often is.

If you have any input or suggestions please feel free to PM me and I'll try to adapt it. I want you all to feel that this is your forum.

Well,
Some Words " What a understanding Wife lol " . :mrgreen:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes when we get home and I ask how her day was she often tells me what a jerk her boss is. Fortunately we get along quite well despite the occasional work related scuffle.

Jared":2rdw2ic0 said:
Yes when we get home and I ask how her day was she often tells me what a jerk her boss is. Fortunately we get along quite well despite the occasional work related scuffle.

Haa Haa ,
What a Feeling :D

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just buying a program doesn't always get your data back. Nor does it come with someone experienced enough to handle the tougher cases of logical corruption.

Think about this: last time you went to the mechanic which cost more, the actual part that was changed or the labor of the mechanic who did the work?

The fact is some logical recovery cases end up taking far more time than ones with actual hardware issues where the recovery cost is far higher. If we can't meet a certain minimum, it isn't worth spending time on the recovery. Besides, people usually come here after their computer guy has already tried and failed to get the data back just using the typical software scan.

jol

Jared":1s4kgogw said:
people usually come here after their computer guy has already tried and failed to get the data back just using the typical software scan.
+ 1
In best case scenario, there are more cases when ppl are coming after making thing worse, for example installing a bunch of DR software on patients drive after files was deleted, or formating the drive to another file system, or even a simple windows check disk.

And yes Jared is right
The fact is some logical recovery cases end up taking far more time than ones with actual hardware issues
So yes
Just buying a program doesn't always get your data back.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
DriveSavers minimum price even for logical recovery is $700 last time I checked. So by that standard my price is a bargain.

Jared":1jdjltmv said:
DriveSavers minimum price even for logical recovery is $700 last time I checked. So by that standard my price is a bargain.

Oh, More expensive means more technology.

In my country, a remote softwate recovery only costs about 10$, and mostly recover nothing......

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Not really. Although the big companies may have some extra equipment for certain cases with some rare hardware issues, little of that would make any difference when it comes to logical recoveries. They don't have any software there that we don't have. I've seen cases where a smaller company (even us) were able to handle a case that the big companies had called a loss. Sometimes it's just how much time and effort you're willing to invest in the project, and how creative you can get with a solution.