SimError - Remaining in BootFW 00001002

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone ever seen this terminal error in a case where it wan't a non-original ROM code or PCB:

Code:
SimError - Remaining in BootFW
00001002Perform a double download without a power cycle

I've only ever seen this before when someone had messed around and had the wrong PCB on the drive. But, in this case, the serial number in the ROM actually matches the drive.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is sabotage or a new problem I've not yet seen.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
You know what....I smell sabotage...

Although the serial number in the ROM code matches the drive, the date of manufacture is a few days off..

[glow=red]Edit:[/glow] I just checked a close matched working drive and it's off too, so maybe that's normal. :?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
PC-3000 doesn't even support editing the head map on these yet, and it wasn't at any other data recovery place as far as I know. It was only at a computer shop who recommended the customer bring it to me. So I'm pretty sure the head map isn't the issue.

I even tried changing the heads, same error. The patient heads put into the donor drive seem to be working just fine. It seems it's some sort of odd firmware corruption, but I can't find any way to interact with the drive to even attempt repair.

Sam

I was just working on a recovery where I ran across this error many times and I'm racking my brain to remember the exact situation that caused it and the resolution. What's the model/family?

davidswa

Hello, did anyone figure this out. I'm getting the same "bootfw" error. Did a successful head swap, same pre-amp, and get the same error. Swaped the heads back to the donor and work perfect. I checked the ROM with a hex editor and it's the right model. Any ideas? Thanks, Dave

Sam

Either donor heads aren't a suitable match for your patient (sometimes just matching preamp isn't enough) or you're dealing with an issue that is not heads-related. What model/family drive are you working with? Have you edited SAP control flags to disable all but head 0 or head 0/1?

davidswa

Hi Sam, thanks for responding. I have a ST500LM021 which I believe is the Yarrax family. P/N 1Kj152-020. One platter, two heads, and I've already tried the SAP Control Flags. Did not work. Regards, Dave

Sam

With the patient PCB on the donor drive, how does the donor act? If it clicks or does not stay spinning then the heads are not a match for the patient.