WD how to find mathicng donor

emir_has

HI

I got patient drive that was open and somone remove sticker before me so i don't know exact model, date and place of manufacture, model and DCM. The drive is WD external MY Passport ultra 1TB.
On sticker on back pane of the disk it serial is WXA1E63HRTV3.
Please guys help me to find donor for this drive?

Thanks

jol

upload the ROM + a high res picture of the PCB (the chip side) so can read the marking on the chips

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely it's a Shrek LT, probably something like a WD10JMVW-11AJGS1. Just based on the closest matching serial number I have in my backed up resources.

emir_has

Thanks for replies

I have also searched more and found that is WD10JMVW-11AJGS0. I am trying to find matching donor now and found this one and wondering is it good donor sn. wxm2e553fxk8 It is also My Passport ultra and inside is wd blue WD10JMVW-11AJGS4.
What do you think guys is this disk good for donor? I saw that if first 5 digit of serial match on patient and donor they are good for head swap. Is this correct?
Also I have tried to read microjogs from module 47 and in PC-3000 it doesn't show me microjogs on donor it is 0. Also tried to read from ROM file in hexedit with module47 plugin and it shows me microjogs but it is huge diference between patient and donor? Comments please.

Thank you

Sam

If PCBs are same number, see if donor spins & stays spinning with patient PCB with no odd noises. If so, inspect donor and patient sliders under microscope and make sure the patterns match. I've seen at least 3 different slider patterns on Passports with the same model (but different DCMs). If slider patterns match, if it was me, I'd give it a shot.

emir_has

Thank you

I have tried PCB swap as you said and donor disk start to make noise so I m now sure that these two disk are not compatible!
I am trying to find new donor but on ebay is also hard to find compatible for the patient.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to match the model, just the family, DCM, and date. I never use USB native drives for heads donors anymore. I always find a SATA drive of the same family to use.