LED:000000BB FAddr:00004A18 After Editing SAP Max Head

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone ever get this message in terminal after editing the SAP control flag to disable the top head?

Code:
LED:000000BB FAddr:00004A18

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, trying to disable the top head since the top platter has a visible scratch ring. Seems no matter what I edit in the ROM of this one I get this error. Edit physical head map... error, edit logical head map...error, edit SAP control flags....error.

The only thing I can assume is that it's not properly recalculating the checksum for this one which is making the PCB refuse to even spin it up and spitting out this error.

what about physical cutting the Top head?? Perhaps friction caused by scratching prevents the rest of the healthy heads of reading?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Blizzard":9wg7lsek said:
[post]10430[/post] What model?
ST2000DM001 just as common as can be.

abedalkareem":9wg7lsek said:
[post]10431[/post] what about physical cutting the Top head?? Perhaps friction caused by scratching prevents the rest of the healthy heads of reading?

I haven't actually even tried replacing the heads yet. I was just hoping to see if it would ID after disabling the top head to know if it even has a chance at all. What's odd is that after modifying SAP or anything else in ROM it doesn't even spin up which I've never seen before with a Grenada.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Sam":2e0o5cqg said:
Are you doing the ROM editing with the Grenada or F3 arch common utility?

That's a good question. Now that I think back, I'm not totally sure. Maybe I did mistakenly try doing it with the F3 common utility. I'll have to play around with it again later on when I'm back to that case. For now, it was just an eval.