Rosewood ST2000LM007 0 capacity

Sam

*Also posted on ACE Labs forum

IDs correctly but with 0 capacity.

Can backup all resources EXCEPT:

DTs

DT 0000 (Flash ROM), Read Adaptive Parameters File (RAP).............. : Error
Error : Error requesting command state "RD CP part" (ABR)

DT 0000 (RAM), Read Adaptive Parameters File (RAP).................... : Error
Error : Error requesting command state "RD CP part" (ABR)

Modules

Module 002B, R/W Operating Parameters (translator, etc)............... : Error
Error : Rq Rd Sys File part ID 2B, Offs 0x0 err! Tech state 0x72, 0x04440000

System Files

Sys File FC35E028(0), R/W Operating Parameters (translator, etc)...... : Error
Error : Rd SysF 3:28:0 (0/8000) err = 0x0000000E
Sys File FC35E028(1), R/W Operating Parameters (translator, etc)...... : Error
Error : Rd SysF 3:28:1 (0/8000) err = 0x0000000E

Unable to read SysFile 28 copy 0 or 1 in Service Information Objects via Terminal or ATA Indirect mode. No problem reading any other SysFile via Terminal or ATA Indirect mode.

11 entries in NRG list.

Edited SysFile 93 to turn off all but Media Cache.

Same exact results with donor heads.

Normally I would try translator regeneration taking into account NRG list but find numerous warnings against it for this model.

Any suggestions?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried reading system file 28 by terminal and reading by just one sector size? You may be able to build a composite module yourself by reading both copies by single sector read. It may take some manual keying in of ABA values to read it since the utility often aborts on the first error. But, I've has some success doing this with other models.

Sam

Thanks Jared! I'm having some success with this method. Without keying in the ABA values, on copy 0 all but the very top of the file is corrupt. On copy 1 everything from the top until about halfway down is corrupt. I'm getting sporadic results by keying in the ABA values and will have to work with that a little more.

Sam

I was unable to get a good read on the translator. Things went downhill. Drive would ID but hang bsy when trying to refresh modules list, restart autotune, etc. until power cycle.

OK'd clearing Media Cache with customer--data was only useful if he had it by tomorrow so he didn't have a problem with it.
Clearing Media Cache allowed drive to refresh modules list, autotune, etc. again. No sector access. Performed translator regen with NRG list. Had access to first 19 million sectors. Added first unreadable sector to slip list and was able to image rest of drive (probably got really lucky that I didn't have to add more entries...I was ready for quite a bit of work). Customer has reviewed recovery and is pretty sure nothing is missing. We can't figure out what might have been lost from Media Cache, if anything.
Granted, he hasn't tried opening anything but all the critical data but folder structure and file names within all look normal.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome. Can you outline the step by step of how you did the translator regen with NRG list?

Sam

Sure. Nothing special--I used the standard command for regenerating translator while preserving/taking into account the NRG list: F3 T>m0,6,3,,,,,22
Afterwards I checked the NRG with F3 T>V40 to verify that the entries were still there. The original list had 11 entries...after regeneration there were 13 entries.
It's just a theory at this point but I think preserving the NRG list (or writing it back after regeneration) may have saved a lot of time manually finding and making 13 or so other entries into the slip list.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so it's still fairly straightforward for translator regeneration. Just some extra work afterward for this extra slips that the normal regeneration doesn't account for. Good thing it wasn't a few thousand extra slips to add in. 11 or 13 is bearable.

Perhaps Ace will have it all worked out and automated in the next couple of updates.

Sam

I realize I wasn't clear--I only had to make 1 entry into the slip list. I was saying that I would have probably had to make at least 11 more if I hadn't preserved the NRG list. OR I suspect that if I hadn't preserved the NRG list during regeneration, writing back the saved resource might have also prevented 11 manual slip list entries. I would have liked to have experimented with it but when client picked up his recovery it slipped my mind at the time to ask him if I could keep his patient drive for that purpose.

Jared and SAM ,
i too recently solved a translator issue on a rosewood 2TB that was retired to customer by another lab in india " Who had acelab tool " .The drive would give sector access to 35% of the total capacity ,Manually working on the problem and adding defect entries to the NRG list and regenerating translator taking into account nrg list enteries i was able to slowly progress and finish the task ,Customer is very very happy .

ramadevi

28 , 35, 93 bin files read terminal mode ? or ati or ATI [ DIR ] .. WHICH MODE READ BEST

original translator MISSING HOW RECOVERY DATA ?