Compatible drive

Freakazoid

Hello.

I have patient (My own) WD5000LMVW-11CKRS0 , DATE 28 oct 2012, DCM:HACTJHNB USB3.0 drive. I only have the original platter, PCB and cover (Missing case and original head. Somebody mes with it before I got it)

Can I buy one : WD5000LMVW-11CKRS0 , DATE 22 NOV 2012 , DCM HBOTJBBB USB 3.0 drive, And just change platter ? or do I need to change ROM also?
Is there any other HDD I can use for only platter and rom swap?

I don't have PC-3000 or similar yet.

Need to learn more basic before I invest that much money.
I`m pretty new in this game so pleas be nice :)

Thanks

Regards

Freakazoid

lcoughey

How is it that someone messed with YOUR OWN drive before you got it?

I'd say that even if the donor is a match, which is always a gamble with Western Digital drives, the odds are that you will only make things worse.

If the data on the drive is someone else's, stop and seek professional assistance.

If the data is yours and of any value, stop seek professional assistance

If the data isn't of any value, knock your socks off with that donor, but a platter transplant is the worse plan possible.

Blizzard

I don't have any extra advice for you other than what Luke offered, but this is an interesting story. Can you tell us how the platter was preserved once it was removed from the base and the base was lost?

pclab

I still have another advice:
If you are intending to enter the Data Recovery business, store your HDD, buy the tools and after a few years of experience go back to your drive.
You will see that what you are planning now it's not a good idea.

Freakazoid

lcoughey":usi6x1fa said:
[post]10126[/post] How is it that someone messed with YOUR OWN drive before you got it?
[highlight=yellow]I'm sorry I was a litte fuzzy. I´ve got this disk from a mate who tried too repair it self before I got it.
He gave it up.. I said I could take it and challenge myself to learn a bit mor about the recovery world.[/highlight]

I'd say that even if the donor is a match, which is always a gamble with Western Digital drives, the odds are that you will only make things worse.

If the data on the drive is someone else's, stop and seek professional assistance.
[highlight=yellow]The data on the driver is my friends data but not important.
If I could get the data out off it, it will be a bonus if not its not the worst case.[/highlight]

Freakazoid

Blizzard":3uyfjv0d said:
[post]10127[/post] I don't have any extra advice for you other than what Luke offered, but this is an interesting story. Can you tell us how the platter was preserved once it was removed from the base and the base was lost?

The platter was swapped in as clean rom as possible (without having a clean rom/Box, I know it very important to have clean rom/box when opening a hard driver and will invest in that later) he also used compressed air too blow away dust before the cover was fitted. Cashier was thrown together wit the reading head without my knowledge of why..

Freakazoid

pclab":2whzqmpu said:
[post]10129[/post] I still have another advice:
If you are intending to enter the Data Recovery business, store your HDD, buy the tools and after a few years of experience go back to your drive.
You will see that what you are planning now it's not a good idea.

Hehe yes thats also a good idea. its what I have done when learning MacBook motherboard repair (saved the logic board that I culden fix for later repair)
I know platter swap is the last thing you want too do.

jol

Freakazoid":31crube4 said:
I know platter swap is the last thing you want too do.
the drive in question is also the last thing you want to start with your learning DR course