WD use to click, now it wont. Time to swap platter?

timebandit

It use to make a clicking sound and if I froze it it would spin and work now it makes no sound. Do I do a head swap now or platter? Can it be from any WD laptop drive of the same year? The platter spins if I open it and move it as I checked to see if the arm was stuck on it.

basically the laptop got thrown into a wall (not me) so it was given to me, this hard drive has so many memories on it (music I made) I want to get it back. When I started I did get some info off of it (when it was clicking did the freezer trick) and now it doesnt even try to click or spin.

Here is a picture of the donated drive I have that works a long side the one that does not.

https://i.redd.it/k082frwhl6k01.jpg

jol

timebandit":1vjkwcxj said:
[post]9992[/post]Can I do a head or platter swap?
neither, actually you can do whatever you want
your drive your data your choice
whooppsss
just noticed
timebandit":1vjkwcxj said:
[post]9988[/post]so it was given to me,
so its not yours
then you'll have to ask the owner of it permission if he allows you to tamper with his drive
since, the course of action you're gonna take is gonna ruin the drive further

LarrySabo

1) Thrown into a wall. 2) Freezer trick. 3) Opened outside of a cleanroom environment. 4) Run with the lid off.

I'd suggest a platter and head swap; throw the current platters in the garbage and install fresh platters and compatible heads. That should help as much as what's been done so far. :roll:

timebandit

I opened it on a table cleaned with 99% iso, wore gloves and a full mask and hairnet. It was never turned on with the caseoff. Why the eyeroll I am here to learn.

pclab

timebandit":8q0gs890 said:
[post]9996[/post] It was never turned on with the caseoff.

On the video, you power it on withouth the lid...

timebandit":8q0gs890 said:
[post]9996[/post] Why the eyeroll I am here to learn.

Well, if you want to learn you should ask for help before all of those attempts. You did EVERYTHING that's is NOT in the "data recovery book".
Your case is hopeless I'm afraid.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
timebandit":vr7aasac said:
[post]9996[/post] I opened it on a table cleaned with 99% iso

A dirty table was the least of your concerns. It's the dirty air in the room that's the problem. Bit particles, the ones you see and can wipe off, are probably too big to be a problem anyway. Those would spin off. It's the particles small enough to wedge in between the sliders and platter that'll cause the problem. Typical office air has about 900-1000 of these particles per cubic meter, so don't even bother trying to defend the "I cleaned the room" story. The only proper solution is true HEPA or ULPA air filtration.

timebandit

WELL WELL WELL..... LOOKS LIKE I RECOVERED MY DATA! ALL I DID WAS SWAP PLATTERS AND use Stellar to find the partition, it found it and I recovered all my songs! Also I never showed me spin anything on any video so :mrgreen: