Not Spinning After Drop ST2000LM003 / HN-M201RAD/AV2

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So here's something odd I've not seen before. External HDD containing HN-M201RAD HDD inside is described by the customer as having been dropped and not spinning now.

Obviously I'm expecting to find that it's head stuck, but to my surprise, everything inside looks perfectly fine. Heads nicely seated on ramp, not mangled or anything. Platters spin freely. But, it doesn't even attempt to spin.

My guess is that perhaps it has a bad head from the drop and that's why it's refusing to spin up. I've just never seen this with a Samsung before. Anyone else seen this?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
hdd00":2to46zh0 said:
Did you check the terminal output? What says there?
It could be a clue of what's happening.

Not yet. I just took a five-minute look before leaving for the day yesterday. I'll probably spend some time with it on Monday. I did notice that the ATA indicators just stay at BSY though.

lcoughey

Funny...one of the reasons I refuse to use MRT to diagnose a Seagate or Samsung drive is the lack of being able to see the terminal in the background window when I power the drive on for the first time.

hdd00

Luke

You can force enter the utility without a hdd powered, go to Terminal tab and power on the hdd. There are always ways around , like I told you ;)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Bankole Oladoja":1lgpuvco said:
It could be a dead PCB..

As I said in the original post, the drive stopped spinning after it was dropped. Super unlikely that it's related to the PCB.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I'm just finally getting back to this project after finishing up some more urgent cases.

Here's what I get in terminal:
Code:
ActiveFW : 00
FWVer : 0001DDR detected:32MB
DW SIPC status: 00000081
SR

Can't say I've ever seen this one before. I believe the next work (where it says SR) should actually say SERVO

hdd00

After "32MB" message should be the preamp version and revision on a normal working hdd (PAUNI_L2958*PA VID=0011 PN=000E Rev=0002*PAUNI_L2958*PA VID=0011 PN=000E Rev=0002U--something like this)
Check this pcb on another hdd or check this hdd with another pcb to see if something changes.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I've got to bring one in. Apparently, I don't have any close matches to this one despite the fact that I've done recovery on several perfect matches. Probably killed all my donors and haven't put all the PCBs into inventory.