Privacy - how to destroy drive fast and reliable

marko.marko

So all topics are related to data recovery; this is opposite; security delete of drive or at least making drive unreadable or un-recognizable.

I understand that there are nicer ways, such as format, swipe, delete tools, etc, but I am "weird" person and I believe that destroying confidential data on the drive might be better using serial port and terminal and just deleting system parts of the drive so that forensic software will have hard time getting data back...

Since I already have serial adapters; can someone give few hints and commands I can try on Seagate drives (sas and sata). Eg. fastest way to kill it...

I am sorry if this question offends anyone; it's my data; I want to learn possibilities...

Thanks for understanding.
Maco

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if it's a modern F3 series Seagate drive you could TTL into it and input the following commands.

T>/1

1>G6A

That'll clear the P-list which will make recovery darn near impossible by reasonable means. It'll also render the drive useless unless you've got some serious tools to repair it afterward.

But, in all seriousness, there's nothing better than just a straight up zero fill of a drive to guarantee it's permanently unrecoverable.

marko.marko

Thanks Jared. I think 0 fill is slow ? This one should do it in a second and is pretty safe. Is this going to work with Older drives 4TB drives, constellation ES3 or maybe on one toshiba I have ... (or i just might get rid of that toshiba anyway)

Thanks again for your reply

hipo

With clearing P-list data is not accessible, not lost. Data is save on the platters and can be recovered for good amount of money.
Fastest way to destroy data on hard drive just drill 5-6 holes trough platters.

pclab

Or go to the Mariana Trench and drop it there hehehehehe
I doubt it survives to 11km of water pressure....

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
marko.marko":axqwu0op said:
Thanks Jared. I think 0 fill is slow ? This one should do it in a second and is pretty safe. Is this going to work with Older drives 4TB drives, constellation ES3 or maybe on one toshiba I have ... (or i just might get rid of that toshiba anyway)

Thanks again for your reply

If you need instant data erasure/security that definitely can't be recovered, then encryption is your friend. If you run your sensitive data on an encrypted partition with a good strong password, then the second your computer is turned off the data is scrambled eggs to anyone who doesn't have your password.