MQ01ABD100 - sounds bad heads perfect

drdoc

I have a MQ01ABD100 - sounds terrible
heads clicking banging arround calibrating all over the place.
swapped heads.
same behavior.
check under microscope - heads perfect.
Put patient heads in donor
works great.

so probably some SA glist problem.
How do I get access to the serice area to fix it.

have pc3k btw

sounds a bit like the situation that some company in UK claims to have a solution for. (MBJ ??).

I have also seen rumors of isolate heads, wait, issue reset,
some procedure like that that I never got to work.

thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I know it sounds terrible, but if you let it thrash around long enough I may eventually come to a ready state. I've seen drives take a long as 5 minutes to come ready in some cases.

drdoc

update:

Using the patient board on donor drive comes ready eventually. When we hot swap the patient drive back in, we have ready lights + terminal access, and the heads aren't bouncing around anymore. Is there any way to clear the g-list or do any other SA corruption fixing commands from here?

Going to re-power and let the heads bounce around in the mean time, as suggested.

drdoc

new update:

It indeed comes ready for real after letting it bang around for a while. I'm unable to clear the g-list on pc3k still. Going to poke around at translator. Any suggestions?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Backup what you can of the resources, then try just doing read by utility in DE along with solving G-List damage. It may well just work out for you.

drdoc":n5h12mn3 said:
I have a MQ01ABD100 - sounds terrible
heads clicking banging arround calibrating all over the place.
swapped heads.
same behavior.
check under microscope - heads perfect.
Put patient heads in donor
works great.

so probably some SA glist problem.
How do I get access to the serice area to fix it.

have pc3k btw

sounds a bit like the situation that some company in UK claims to have a solution for. (MBJ ??).

I have also seen rumors of isolate heads, wait, issue reset,
some procedure like that that I never got to work.

thanks

Hello,
Try isolating board from HDA .Then get the board to ready condition ,Put board to standby ,hook it to HDA and recalibrate and then id the drive .Works many many times .

Ps : you will need to do soft or hard reset to get board only in ready state