Quick wiped my passport. Desperately need more than just raw files.

OneOfMany

Hi,

I have a problem. My external hard drive, a 1TB WD Passport, the same place I've used to back up my entire life for the past decade, has been wiped. I mistakenly "quick wiped" it while trying to set up as a recovery drive. I understand that things are not good because the recovery drive process writes to the disk after wiping so I may not get everything. Since it happened, I've been learning and trying anything I can to restore my (800 gigs of) data. I've tried a bunch of the software but haven't really gotten the results I was looking for (or even understood the results that I've gotten half the time).

It is critically important that I'm able to recover the folder/organisation. Based off of what you see in these screenshots --- http://imgur.com/a/ibsVc, what can you tell me about my situation? Would you recommend a different strategy? What are my odds of success?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Forget all the programs you're trying. Scan the drive from beginning to end with R-Studio and see what results it gets.

jol

the OP has mentioned in the title
OneOfMany":2axrxo05 said:
Desperately need more than just "raw" files.
IIUC, the OP - wants the original file/folder structure + names and everything related
if the the root directory (AKA $MFT) has been wiped out, then there is no way to get the original file/folder structure + names...

OneOfMany

jol":31jzd16y said:
the OP has mentioned in the title
OneOfMany":31jzd16y said:
Desperately need more than just "raw" files.
IIUC, the OP - wants the original file/folder structure + names and everything related
if the the root directory (AKA $MFT) has been wiped out, then there is no way to get the original file/folder structure + names...

Is there any way, that you know of to restore/replace the MFT?

In the GetDataBack results there is something called an MFT. Is this what I'm looking for? If so, what should I do next?
bByBRm2.jpg

PS: I've tried R-Studio.

jol

OneOfMany":3v39e6c1 said:
In the GetDataBack results there is something called an MFT. Is this what I'm looking for? If so, what should I do next?
try to save it and upload it here or send it as PM

OneOfMany

Bankole Oladoja":3n31l4ab said:
Just to be sure, did you set a password on your HardDrive before the 'wipe' ?

No password :)
Creating a windows recovery drive was my first step towards securing everything. Encryption/VPNs/etc were supposed to be next but, as you can see, I've hit a bit of a snag. Not much left to protect :)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect from that R-Studio result that the file system is just too badly wiped out to get a meaningful recovery with file names and folder structure. Most likely RAW is the best you're going to get in this case. Too much has been overwritten.