How NOT to remove the HDA connector block

LarrySabo

When removing a head stack, I've been lifting the block from inside the case by prying under the block with a pair of curved tweezers. Today I learned that's not a good idea. I thought the block was a little snug but didn't notice until later that I managed to pull the contacts portion right off the ribbon cable to which it is attached. Argh! Fortunately, it was one of my donors and not a patient drive, or a donor I paid good money for. From now on, I push it up from the bottom after removing the PCB.

Connector pads ripped off.JPG

hipo

+1 for removing PCB first, it is much easy to push from bottom. Some time rubber gasket is stick between connector and HDD case.

Larry Sir ,
Other Benefit Of PCB Removal And Then Poking The Head Connector block from down is that you do have the capability to clean the complete hdd before taking it to the cleanroom .Its always very convinient to pop it off the way to learnt but take care sometimes it can fly out like a jet engine :D ,So one hand on the top also

Sam

2 days after I read this I did the same darn thing on a 3TB Seagate DM and thought fondly of this post. Why should I listen to the advice of others? :lol:
Fortunately, the pads were still in place and I was able to solder the block back on.
Lesson learned!!

lcoughey

I learned the hard way many years ago on older Seagate drives where one PCB screw goes into the bottom of the head connector.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The one that really killed me was when I killed a brand new $350 4Tb Toshiba drive. My issue wasn't from failure to remove the PCB though. Rather, it was when I was trying to remove the super strong magnet. It finally popped free and snagged the ribbon cable on the way up. Tore it completely off and I had to buy another one. Needless to say I didn't manage to turn any profit on that case. In fact I think I ended up investing in it.