Need help for NTFS partition with corrupted MFT

MaXiang

The affected HDD is a SSD removed from a laptop with 4 partitions to be used in an external enclosure, one primary partition(C:) cannot be found in Windows , but could be read in Ubuntu. After I was trying to fix it with TestDisk in Windows, now it cannot be found or read in Ubuntu as well. I don't know what I did with TestDisk but the MFT was corrupted per Chkdsk and could not be repaired.

I used active@ partition recovery demo edition and made a raw image of that partition on another HDD. The superscan on the original disk found that C: partition in a bad status with missing $MFT, $MFTMirror and other attributes but the superscan on the raw image found that C: partition in an excellent status with all the files that I can preview in binary form.

The C: drive is about 100G, Im tempted to purchase the full version of active@ partition recovery (btw, if you know a better alternative please let me know) to recover the partition from the raw image , but should I do it in place or on another HDD? And there are several things not that clear to me:

1. Does what has happened suggest there are physical damages on my original HDD? Should I stop working on it now to prevent further loss? the other three partition, two seem pretty normal, one is called "system reserved". I don't know if MBR should be on this partition or the corrupted C:? I did managed to write booting information on both this partition and the C: with TestDisk that completely corrupted it. I'm still confused where should the MBR be? If it's on C: can the active@ partition recovery recover it?

2. The active@partition recovery found loads of volumes (can post a screenshot later), except for the good C: that I can recognize and plan to recover, I don't know what to do with the rests? Some are with FAT boot sector which I wonder why, and named "EFIxxxx" , and loads are simply with bad sectors.