Data Recovery Imager Comparisons

lcoughey

How does it save time for me to post in multiple spots? If you want to see the results, you can go to where they are posted.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
lcoughey":6hkuupw8 said:
[post]7572[/post] How does it save time for me to post in multiple spots?

Well, technically speaking you typed two extra sentences in this thread describing what you were linking too. It only takes a few keystrokes to copy/paste a post. But, I understand you're trying to drive the traffic back to your site. Who wouldn't want that? I often do the same thing when I post useful stuff here and want to attract new users to this forum from the others.

lcoughey

I'm updating the post as results come in and have linked to it on several different forums. Should I copy and paste the same information over and over again, all over the web. (Those who do, drive me nuts) If I saw a great blog on another site, should I copy and paste the contents of the blog on this forum to save everyone the lost time of clicking the link? Rather than have a link back to our website in our signature, we should post the website contents there, also to avoid the time it would take to click the link.

lcoughey":3jacc4t2 said:
[post]7582[/post] PC3000 DE Test

The first time the test was run, it was run with an older PC3000 UDMA card, so just to be fair, we reran the test with the new PC3000 Express card to see if there are any significant differences. The second numbers in () are for the Express card.

Time to complete the recovery: about 13 hours (about 14 hours).

how could the new express card be slower than old one ??!! :? :?

RolandJS

I realize that I am just a beginner in the world of Data Recovery! In layman's terms, what are the main features and benefits of using high-end, high quality, data recovery imager software/hardware?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
For software the best tools are actually free, such as ddrescue and hddsupertool.

Using a hardware imager will often get much better results than a software tool only. Unlike software tools, hardware imagers are more aware of what's going on with the drive. So if it goes unresponsive on a bad sector the tool will soft reset it, then hard reset it if that doesn't work. If nothing else can get it responsive it'll power cycle the drive, etc. Also many hardware imagers can control a lot of drive features such as the read timeouts, ATA mode, etc. so an experienced tech can optimize the drive and get the maximum amount of data. We see cases all the time where software alone wouldn't stand a chance to image a drive, but our hardware can plow right through it with a bit of tweaking.