Bizarre WD Behavior

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So this is something I've never seen before. I've got a WD My Passport Shrek LT family. I can backup SA modules just fine from both copies and they all pass checks. However, I can't read tracks from the drive. It acts like it's hitting bad sectors in every track. Even gives the "DISK DAM ERROR" message. Yet the drive is working, has sector access and everything.

Anyone else ever seen this? It's not a big deal, as I can access the data, just very odd.

w.simon

Hello

I had some that made this too on the 2Tb Essential / My Painport, same error : "DISK DAMN ERROR"

Never checked why, i got the data never took time to go deeper/

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I know this drive needed a slow responding fix to speed it up, but even after that still can't read tracks. I've got about 85% recovered now and just finishing up the rest, so I'm not overly concerned about it. I've just never seen that before.

Jared":23vpomu6 said:
So this is something I've never seen before. I've got a WD My Passport Shrek LT family. I can backup SA modules just fine from both copies and they all pass checks. However, I can't read tracks from the drive. It acts like it's hitting bad sectors in every track. Even gives the "DISK DAM ERROR" message. Yet the drive is working, has sector access and everything.

Anyone else ever seen this? It's not a big deal, as I can access the data, just very odd.

Well,
What you said does not make any sense as if you can read SA Modules and logical access to user section is there ,Tracks definitely should be read .But as you said you cannot such thing can happen once in a while and do not have any explanation .The only thing you should try is try this hdd on a another Tool like DFL/MRL/Etc and cross check

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It's not a tool limitation. The drive just responds to ABA read commands as if every sector in the SA is bad. But, can read everything fine if read by ID. The case is fully recovered, so in my opinion it's just a strange anomaly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Very Very Strange ,
There is never a shortage of learning DR daily man.I too have a Hot Swap Case That i need to get over with will post to get everyones response