ER-Tools review

pclab

Hi Guys

Who do already own ER-Tools? Any reviews on them?
Better or worse than ACETOOLS?

Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I like them personally. They are pretty much identical to the Ace Tool copies, so not much difference other than the material used. I personally feel more comfortable with the plastic as it seems less likely to possibly scratch a platter surface. I also like that they are lightweight which makes them less prone to moving around due to gravity when you're transferring the HSA.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No, I just bought the Seagate set for the ones without parking ramps.

ScotchBroth

I got the full set a couple years ago and I've loved it. It was between ER and hdd surgery (a difference of several thousand dollars) and I went with ER.

I only get sad when I have a drive that doesn't match and have to use cut up sudafed medicine blister packs instead.

I have the MegaPack. I have so much confidence in ER tools, expecially for those HDD without ramps. The tools makes me feel like I have 15 fingers, and are very easy to use.
ACE Tools, I haven't tried it out, but am ordering the Momentus Thin 2.5, and MQ Set ( Both Single Platter) that's the only thing am missing from ER-Tools.

pclab

I got the ER-Tools kit (not all, because I already have some HDDsurgery tools :D ).

I have used the unstuck tool for a Seagate 5400.6, and one question applies:

How to get the best angle approach?
I mean: in my case, heads were in the middle of the platters, so the tool takes the heads "by the side" if you understand what I mean. I could even so get them out and worked perfectly.
But if the heads are a little more inside the platter area it will be tough to lift the heads.

What do you think?

Also, when I opened the box, the tools are so small and the blades so small, that they look to fragil...
I hope they don't brake :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pclab":3pwu0if7 said:
I got the ER-Tools kit (not all, because I already have some HDDsurgery tools :D ).

I have used the unstuck tool for a Seagate 5400.6, and one question applies:

How to get the best angle approach?
I mean: in my case, heads were in the middle of the platters, so the tool takes the heads "by the side" if you understand what I mean. I could even so get them out and worked perfectly.
But if the heads are a little more inside the platter area it will be tough to lift the heads.

What do you think?

Also, when I opened the box, the tools are so small and the blades so small, that they look to fragil...
I hope they don't brake :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi Pclab ,
Angle does not matter here ,just position them under that small hole close to the slider/heads .Well these tools have to be this small ,BTW i am sure you will love to use them