Wd essential

bigterd

I hear these encrypt the data regardless of settings when using the USB bridge.

I just did some sata connector Frankenstein work, bypassing the USB bridge.

Do i for see a guaranteed headache ahead?

Wd my passport 500
Initio inic 3608pn

Sent from my S-Off'ed HTC One...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The encryption on these is no headache at all if you have the right equipment like PC-3000. However, without it you're in for some real fun.

Did you say Overpriced ? with just a single click Decryption of My Passport Drives compared to a 36 Pages love letter.. ??
Also PC3K does so much more than just Decryption.

bigterd

I was quoted $8000. I read that pdf and was done the same night.

And I did mention Pc3k has its place. But i couldn't justify spending $8k on the spot for 4 hours of typing and reading.

There's people that do that for a living @ $8/hr.

Effort is a dying and disappearing skill in this day and age.

pclab

How many cases do you deal with? 1??
If you deal with several cases a month, you will see that a one-click decryption option is a great improvement of time...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
pclab":2yqbaw18 said:
If you deal with several cases a month, you will see that a one-click decryption option is a great improvement of time...

Yeah, or if you deal with several cases a day like I do, you can't live without a tool as powerful as PC-3000.

@OP It's also good to remember that in many similar cases you might not have been able to do it at all without such a tool. For example if a user password was set, you'd have been stuck using the other method. Whereas with PC-3000 you'd just have to type that password in when prompted. There's a lot of reasons why the tool is worth $8000. I've actually got their Express system which has 4 channels on it. I know of other companies who've bought several of these because they needed more than one. But, that's those of us who do this professionally and can't be bothered with two weeks of research for each case that comes in.

bigterd

bigterd":2hbl2ka4 said:
But I understand it has its place.

^^what he said.

Jared":2hbl2ka4 said:
pclab":2hbl2ka4 said:

Yeah, or if you deal with several cases a day like I do, you can't live without a tool as powerful as PC-3000.

@OP It's also good to remember that in many similar cases you might not have been able to do it at all without such a tool. For example if a user password was set, you'd have been stuck using the other method. Whereas with PC-3000 you'd just have to type that password in when prompted. There's a lot of reasons why the tool is worth $8000. I've actually got their Express system which has 4 channels on it. I know of other companies who've bought several of these because they needed more than one. But, that's those of us who do this professionally and can't be bothered with two weeks of research for each case that comes in.

pclab":2hbl2ka4 said:

Bankole Oladoja":2hbl2ka4 said:
Did you say Overpriced ? with just a single click Decryption of My Passport Drives compared to a 36 Pages love letter.. ??
Also PC3K does so much more than just Decryption.