WD20NMVW-11AV3S2 Fried PCB

Tyler Rouse

Good Afternoon everyone!

Forgive me, but Hawaii is about 10 years behind the tech curve, and we recently purchased a PC-3000 and Deep spar systems, and we are still learning these systems.

We have a client that brought in a WD USB drive (WD20NMVW-11AV3S2) and i came to the conclusion that the PCB is inoperable. With the original PCB attached, the drive will not spin on or even register that the drive is receiving power. We have a comparable SATA PCB that is good to go according to the ACE forum compatible list. (Original PCB is WD 771961-G01) (SATA PCB is WD 771960-100).

I have downloaded a few firmware files from the server (Big thanks to Data Medics!), however i am constantly running into errors when applying the rom through Normal, Kernel, or Boot-Rom Modes. I noticed that i am able to use the ROM and ROM Modules, but i have no idea how to apply the SA modules, or where to go from here.

If anyone has any resources to point me in the right direction, that would be awesome, or if you have any advice or steps to assist, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

pclab

If you have a bad PCB, you just need to write the patient ROM into the Donor PCB (you can use the Boot ROM option to write it), connect to HDA and you will ID the drive well.
The SA modules are not written on the PCB, they are on platters.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If you need more direct Skype / Teamview type assistance, don't be afraid to ask. There's a few of us here who offer that type of support on a donation basis. Getting your bearings at first using PC-3000 can seem daunting, we've all been there.

Anyway, welcome to the world of professional data recovery! :D

Tyler Rouse

pclab":296y4djh said:
If you have a bad PCB, you just need to write the patient ROM into the Donor PCB (you can use the Boot ROM option to write it), connect to HDA and you will ID the drive well.
The SA modules are not written on the PCB, they are on platters.

I have extracted and written the ROM from the patient PCB and written it to the SATA PCB using the boot rom access option, however i still get errors. The largest error is the inability to detect the SA (Giving a default value of 500, asking for manual input). Ill take some screen shots and post them when i can, im waiting on another drive to get done extracting data.

Subconsiously i was aware of the SA tracks being Service Area tracks, but i didnt connect the dots to realize that the SA is on the platters haha. Thanks!

Tyler Rouse

Jared":28wejc5o said:
If you need more direct Skype / Teamview type assistance, don't be afraid to ask. There's a few of us here who offer that type of support on a donation basis. Getting your bearings at first using PC-3000 can seem daunting, we've all been there.

I appreciate your offer, but the owner of our company is Chinese, and is all about profit margins. In his terms, hes "chang", meaning cheap, and we need to figure it out. Thank you for your help and assistance, I really do appreciate it!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Tyler Rouse":1ecy2uue said:
Jared":1ecy2uue said:

I appreciate your offer, but the owner of our company is Chinese, and is all about profit margins. In his terms, hes "chang", meaning cheap, and we need to figure it out. Thank you for your help and assistance, I really do appreciate it!

Suit yourself. Perhaps though you & your boss should consider this. Which is actually the cheaper option?:

Option A: Pay an employee to waste two weeks trying to figure something out only to end up screwing it up permanently and never get paid. Or to just find out that it was a lost cause from the very start. Total profit: -2 weeks pay

Or

Option B: Pay for a quick consultation from someone experienced, have it done in an hour, and actually get paid.
Total profit: Value of a recovery - small consultation commission.

I've been in this business for years now, I know that there are still certain types of recoveries that are more cost effective for me to outsource to someone who's more experienced in that specific field of study. You'll never be a master of all things in data recovery, there isn't enough time in life to accomplish it.

Tyler Rouse

For what its worth, i fully agree with you. Ill keep working with him on this and see what we can accomplish as far as being able to outsource it. So how does this work? Paypal? and the donation rates? Thanks!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
PayPal is the easiest way. The amount I leave completely up to the person I'm helping as I realize that rates vary widely depending on what part of the world you're in. All I would expect is a fair proportion of the amount that is being billed to the client based on the help received.

If I feel someone is stingy and just taking advantage I'm just less helpful in the future. A few guys I've pretty much stopped responding to when they ask for help because they constantly demand help and never contribute much of anything. Other guys, I'll drop everything and help them because they are very generous. I've been sent as much as $300 for a 20 min consultation, other times I've spent several hours and been stiffed (I don't help them now).

You'd be surprised how much it can help with the learning process to see someone else run the tool. I know when I started out I could barely understand the manuals. But, thanks to some other helpful people who I paid for some consulting I started to see how it all worked.

nissimezra

Jared":kkvf1mri said:
PayPal is the easiest way. The amount I leave completely up to the person I'm helping as I realize that rates vary widely depending on what part of the world you're in. All I would expect is a fair proportion of the amount that is being billed to the client based on the help received.

If I feel someone is stingy and just taking advantage I'm just less helpful in the future. A few guys I've pretty much stopped responding to when they ask for help because they constantly demand help and never contribute much of anything. Other guys, I'll drop everything and help them because they are very generous. I've been sent as much as $300 for a 20 min consultation, other times I've spent several hours and been stiffed (I don't help them now).

You'd be surprised how much it can help with the learning process to see someone else run the tool. I know when I started out I could barely understand the manuals. But, thanks to some other helpful people who I paid for some consulting I started to see how it all worked.

Good to know, I'll keep you in mind once I'll buy pro tools.