My Dream Rig

bigterd

Toying with data from clients devices, I've ditched raid 5 with traditional file systems, and use something with scrubbing/bitrot detection.

I had raid 5 with ext4, but no way to check against data. So I moved to zfs... I feel a lot better.

Those would be slick, but traditional raid 5 and the write hole, combined with silent bit flip.... No, I wouldn't trust it.

Btrfs mirrored or zfs pool

Sent from my S-Off'ed HTC One...

bigterd

Those would be slick, but traditional raid 5 and the write hole, combined with silent bit flip.... No, I wouldn't trust it.

Btrfs mirrored with Metadata plus data scrubbing, or zfs pool, raidz3 too...

Shuffling 2or 3 copies of 4tb images doing file system modifications can get piggish quick. I always keep an undo button handy.

Sent from my S-Off'ed HTC One...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a ZFS RAID get totally botched after a simple power outage, so I'm not sure I'd trust that either. Fortunately I had everything important backed up.

Right now I actually use a RAID 6 of 8 4TB SAS drives connected to an Areca 1880i controller and it's been great. I don't generally use it to store images of the really big drives, but for the tons of smaller capacity drives and drives that aren't full and only need to be imaged by bitmap it saves a ton of time wiping clones. When my RAID starts getting too full, I just take and delete the 5 or 10 oldest jobs on there and I've got plenty more space again.

Jared":1qrkx8aa said:
I've had a ZFS RAID get totally botched after a simple power outage, so I'm not sure I'd trust that either. Fortunately I had everything important backed up.

Right now I actually use a RAID 6 of 8 4TB SAS drives connected to an Areca 1880i controller and it's been great. I don't generally use it to store images of the really big drives, but for the tons of smaller capacity drives and drives that aren't full and only need to be imaged by bitmap it saves a ton of time wiping clones. When my RAID starts getting too full, I just take and delete the 5 or 10 oldest jobs on there and I've got plenty more space again.

Jared ,
Here in india anything over 1gb is not reliable ,Drives from WDC with absolutely little usage also have bad sector .So making a RAID setup atleast to me is not worth the effort .Any suggestions you can pour in

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I use all HGST SAS drives for my RAID. I've yet to even need to change a single drive, though I do keep an extra one on standby just in case. SAS drives are built to an entirely different standard than their junk SATA counterparts. You can actually feel the difference just picking one up (they weigh nearly twice as much).