Hitachi HTS545032B9A300 simpletough external harddrive issues

gadgetfriendly

Hello everyone this is my first post in forums. I am apart of a lot of other forums dealing with level 3 service repair mainly on smartphones! I acquired the hitachi HTS545032B9A300 simple touch external hard drive that was pretty much dead . Once plugged into the USB port no light no sound and no harddrive spinning and no detection on computer. Ordered a pcb with the exact match and swapped the bios chip( will post pictures tomorrow in the office) . Now the hard drive light comes on but stays static, no flashing and the the drive continually spins with no odd noises. Lastly the drive doesn't detect on Mac or pc. From when it came in to what it is now, the process made is that it turns on but doesn't detect. Would I need pc-300 to copy the sectors in order to salvage the data? If so would I need the cable kit Aswell or can i simple plug the the external harddrive in to usb and see if the program reads it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
With Hitachi drives you'd need to transfer the NVRAM code from the original PCB to the new one for it to work. Also, the first two lines of the white sticker on the PCB needs to match. If you don't have any professional tools to read/write the NVRAM, then you can alternately transfer the whole 8 pin ROM chip to the new board.

jol

gadgetfriendly":20bwiroy said:
Would I need pc-300 to copy the sectors in order to salvage the data?
PC3K is hardware software based (if you don't know that already)
gadgetfriendly":20bwiroy said:
If so would I need the cable kit Aswell or can i simple plug the the external harddrive in to usb and see if the program reads it?
If you don't have a hardware imager the best way would be - in case you have access to user data - to use cloning software Linux based ... dd, ddrescue, ddrhelp, or hddsuperclone, connected direct the computer (SATA).

gadgetfriendly

I have swapped for rom chip from original pcb to new pcb. The numbers do match aswell. When I plug it up to the computer all that happens is it turns on no odd noises but Just a spinning drive no detection on the computer. I do wNt to mention that there is another pcb on the housing of the case for the external hard drive that the harddrive plugs into and then info usb. I Also have a matching unit that I'm using to plug it into . I will post pictures in a few minutes. The original PCB attachment to USB doesn't seem like it powers on since no light turns on but the donor housing that I plug it into does have an active light Nd turns the hard drive on. Do you think a chip swAp is necessary on that part ?

gadgetfriendly

here is a visual the housing on the right the light doesn't illuminate and I believe they pcb might have some short in it l. That's the one they came with the dead drive. The other is a known working housing that does illuminate. And turns the harddrive on . And last pic is the pcb with the swapped bios chip. Question is, is there anything on the old housing pcb that I need to transfer over ?IMG_0208.JPG

gadgetfriendly

01203455d8c5217d05d416d52fc24a89.jpg
c0ffc1ec1791c0d8f5603fe850ca474f.jpg
099629ee5a72c251c05a8dcff33ce3bc.jpg
d9bbda41f731f8b5ddede97830db4637.jpg
here is a visual the housing on the right the light doesn't illuminate and I believe they pcb might have some short in it l. That's the one they came with the dead drive. The other is a known working housing that does illuminate. And turns the harddrive on . And last pic is the pcb with the swapped bios chip. Question is, is there anything on the old housing pcb that I need to transfer over ?IMG_0209.JPGIMG_0210.JPGIMG_0211.JPGIMG_0208.JPG

gadgetfriendly

Guys I do apologize for talking the time I went and transferred both chips on to new pcb now works fine ! Thank you

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Are you talking about two chips on the actual HDD PCB, or are you talking about the USB bridge? I'm confused. :?: