HItachi with wobble platters

pclab

Hi Guys

Got a drive today (2,5" HTS725050A7E630), that the client said it stopped working.
After inspection, heads were stuck. I release them OK, checked the rotation of the platters (all OK) and power it on. It clicked and got stuck again. Strange.
So I opened it again, release heads and realized that the platters wobble....
It should be a big crash.....
Bottom question is: Need to swap platters to a new chassis, right? Only solution, yes?

Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience, when the platters have any major wobble it's usually a lost cause. I think platter swap is the way to go, but I'd quote high to be sure the risk is offset by the potential profit. The few like that I did eventually did get to read had so many bad sectors the data was pretty much moot.

Sam

I have a 2.5" WD I'm currently working on that had platter wobble from a drop. I only discovered it after finding that a head swap didn't improve the situation.
It's complicated by a ding in the top platter. A platter swap allowed me to image most of the data. Luckily the ding on the top platter didn't turn into scratches...only marks that were easy to clean off...6 times. Had to clean the sliders each time also. Wish I would have quoted higher :shock:
Good luck!

w.simon

My friend who know about IT, he know well that stuff has he repair microwave all days told me that it's easy to fix, you need an hammer to hit the drive and realign the platers, he can come to your place to show you how to make it for sure unrecoverable

Sorry was joke, i'm in good mood, just get a seagate ST1000DM003 headswap out of the box, plug and play not like the one before that was plug and pray

LarrySabo

w.simon":k0ktcwqv said:
[post]5612[/post] My friend who know about IT, he know well that stuff has he repair microwave all days told me that it's easy to fix, you need an hammer to hit the drive and realign the platers, he can come to your place to show you how to make it for sure unrecoverable
Hahaha. :lol: