The Joys of Thumbdrive Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Took about 3 hours of struggling with it but I finally got the last thumb drive on my bench to read.

thumbdrive.jpg

Hopefully the coming weeks bring more hard drives instead. I'm getting sick of breathing in solder smoke. :eek:

w.simon

There my last successfull connector recovery :F

USB 3.0 Kingston recover with USB 2.0 connector

Attachments

• WP_20150112_21_07_36_Pro.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,521

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Usually yes, but all 4 contact points were ripped out of the PCB and it took a bit to figure out where the positive power channel could be connected since the trace went under. Then even when it was right it still wasn't working until I switched to higher guage wire (not sure why, but it wouldn't work).

LarrySabo

I was going to ask, what is that, 12 gauge? :D (jk) BTW, what do you use for magnification to work on these? I just got my microscope last week and find that 20x is a bit too much; 10x would have been better. I might still order WF5X eyepieces to yield 10X when combined with the 2X objective. Got a 0.3MP USB camera with it but damn thing doesn't work. Pictures of these repairs would be good for your web site, or not, depending on how it looks. :mrgreen:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Believe it or not, I use nothing but an actual magnifying glass for these. But then my vision is still 20/20 so far. For even smaller stuff I use a cheap USB microscope.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":38768475 said:
I was going to ask, what is that, 12 gauge?

I am a licensed electrician you know, so I'm used to working with big wire.

LarrySabo

:lol:

BTW, what do you charge for these recoveries, where it's just ripped pads/connections? I asked my DR minimum of $125 CAD last week and got turned down.