Move Module 01 Location

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so I've got my nightmare of the month case here. Just to quickly recap what's been done.

4TB WD Red drive had a blown motor chip on the PCB. Customer tried replacing the PCB themselves with new one and ROM transfer (cooking new PCB in the process, but didn't harm ROM thankfully). This lead to some confusion about which ROM was which, but got that all straightened out after the first day.

Heads tested with good PCB and correct ROM and found to be bad (at least I'm pretty sure they were bad, couldn't even read SPT with ldr and dir upload). Replaced heads from donor, that seems to have gone well from what I can tell.

Now, I'm finding that the SA is also a mess. When powered on the drive clicks and spins down. However after ldr and dir upload, disabling head 1 in RAM, soft reset, I can finally get SA access to the drive. All tracks and modules have been backed up by composite and check out.

However on each individual head, there's bad modules.

Head 0 has bad modules 01, 02, 32 (go figure)
Head 1 has bad modules 01, 32, 33

I've managed to force the drive to ID and even have sector access a few times, but the instant it hits a bad sector it goes right back to clicking and spinning down.

Normally I'd just plan to do a smart hot swap in a case like this, but with both copies of module 01 unreadable (except by composite) it'll just crash out a million times and I'll have to keep swapping again and again through 4TB of data. Will take forever.

So here's my question: Has anyone ever successfully relocated module 01 (The Directory Module)? I assume this is what the SA regions editing is for, but I'm at a loss as to how one would go about doing this. Would you just move the SA region then write SA tracks back over it?

Ideas?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
After a bit more investigating, it looks like the Module 01 location is actually spelled out in ROM. Trying to adjust it now, will update.

Might have to move this to the secrets section if I pull it off.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Moving modules isn't usually a problem. But, this time it's the actual modules directory that's the issue. A bit more challenging.

jol

Jared":2ba4l7ua said:
[post]4841[/post] Has anyone ever successfully relocated module 01 (The Directory Module)?
Have you forgotten ? I sent you a PM on mar. 28 with a case exactly like this (mod 01 problem)
jol":2ba4l7ua said:
Bottom line mod 01 was the culprit, after tranffering his location, and the drive start running like charm,

300ddr

I always thought 01 couldn't be moved. Did you successfully move it? If so, can you explain how?

jol

300ddr":gv0t6adp said:
[post]4903[/post]Did you successfully move it?
like I said
jol":gv0t6adp said:
Bottom line mod 01 was the culprit, after tranffering his location, and the drive start running like charm,
unfortunately I had to do it twice, first by examination of the drive, second was after the client rejected the recovery and wanted back the drive :(

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I did confirm it's possible to move module 01 location. The reference to it's location has to be edited in ROM (best if done after you actually write the module there).

I've posted a write up of how to do it in the data recovery secrets section.