Hellooo from the other side!

DRUG

Hi,

My name is Miguel, from Portugal.

My principle line of work is Security of Information / Cryptography / Pentesting.
Two and a half years ago a client had a damaged disk with vital info, and we outsourced it for almost 2k€.
I've started investing a little time into it and after solving the myths of "freeze the hard drive" I conviced my boss to let me use a station to install some logical level data recovery software.
Time-warped and now we got a stable income from DR.
I currently have MRT-PRO (a good bang for you buck) and consider myself in 5% of the path to mastery.
I owe a lot to pclab that always shared info with me and gave me tips that made my path easier down the road. I still outsource to him more complex cases that I don't feel confident enough. :oops:

I hope I can learn and share in this forum!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Miguel! I recognize your nickname from HDDGuru, nice to see you come over here too.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

DRUG

jol":1z41iaij said:
[post]4832[/post] Welcome Mr Miguel
DRUG":1z41iaij said:
[post]4822[/post] I currently have MRT-PRO (a good bang for you buck)
would you mind elaborate ?

Well, as a beginner myself, MRT even though they have no official documentation, you can find some things scattered around the web. MRT for the price you pay is a good tool. It lacks many functions that PC3K owns, but is still pretty good for the price you pay. My plans for the near future is having MRT to clone other disks (MRT clonning skills never failed on me), and using pc3k for more complex jobs. I'm also very interested in Flash recovery, So i'm not sure if i'm going the MRT-PC3K-RUSOLUT way or MRT-RUSOLUT-PC3K.

Thing is, if you expect to take MRT out of the box and having 1 click recoveries, you will be disapointed. But after some digging you will be able to manipulate roms / clone disks, without stress.

jol

DRUG":3gnejjd4 said:
So i'm not sure if i'm going the MRT-PC3K-RUSOLUT way or MRT-RUSOLUT-PC3K.
IMHO it should be PC3K first, since you said
[post]4834[/post] It lacks many functions that PC3K
And since you already inside HDDs DR, before you jump in to a different area (flash), personally I would prefer to be perfect and complete in the area l'm already in.
not to mention that it is a completely different world, (pages, blocks, 8bit, 16bit..., encryption, xor..., different chips and different controllers, not to mention monolithic... pin out, soldering under microscope...)
Thing is, if you expect to take MRT out of the box and having 1 click recoveries, you will be disapointed. But after some digging you will be able to manipulate roms / clone disks, without stress.
I don't expect anything just interested in your point of view, I think as a owner of PC3K, MRT will be a walk in the park ;) if I gonna buy it atall

DRUG

jol":3f3rs5zs said:
[post]4836[/post]
DRUG":3f3rs5zs said:
So i'm not sure if i'm going the MRT-PC3K-RUSOLUT way or MRT-RUSOLUT-PC3K.
IMHO it should be PC3K first, since you said
[post]4834[/post] It lacks many functions that PC3K
And since you already inside HDDs DR, before you jump in to a different area (flash), personally I would prefer to be perfect and complete in the area l'm already in.
not to mention that it is a completely different world, (pages, blocks, 8bit, 16bit..., encryption, xor..., different chips and different controllers, not to mention monolithic... pin out, soldering under microscope...)
I don't expect anything just interested in your point of view, I think as a owner of PC3K, MRT will be a walk in the park ;) if I gonna buy it atall
Since you already have PC3K, only use MRT will have will be a cheaper workstation to clone some devices. (don't think MRT is a walk in the park, you will be mindblown as how chinese software can be weird)

About flash, with the help of HaQue and some other benevolent souls on this world, I managed to dump and re-assemble flash data with a home made reader. (I might publish a tutorial here in the near future once we have our new HQ up on running, however, keep in mind that DIY flash reader won't be usefull enough to use it as a PRO service, since it will fail to read perfectly many chips.)