ST3500418AS head stuck

hello every body ,

i have Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
500GB 3.5' SATA
ST3500418AS

When power on I get mild and constant beeping sound. The sound is like stuck head, but even after moving the head on platter and power on its stuck again , the platters wont spin up , this model of seagate the head park normally on platter

any lead will be appreciated

lcoughey

After you get the heads parked at the centre of the platters by the spindle, does the spindle rotate freely? It is not uncommon for Seagate's of that era to have seized spindles.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
+1 to what Luke said. Just keep spinning the platters by hand until it feels pretty free. Even if it takes an hour. If you can get it free enough to start spinning on it's own, it'll eventually get up to speed and work.

If that doesn't work, or you see a lot of vertical wobble in the platters, the spindle is probably bent and you'll need to attempt platter swapping it.

thanks Luck and Jared ,

i dismount the head and keep rotating the platters until the motor released ,mounted the head again
and power up its spin fine but its clicks and spin down , searching for donor head now

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Does it look like there's a lot of wobble in the platters? What I do to check is look at a fixed object reflected in the platter and spin it by hand and see if the object appears to move. I've heard of other guys using lazers to check for wobble in the platters. If it makes a dot relfecting off the spinning platter it's good, if it makes a circle you've got too much wobble.

I'd just hate to see you replace the heads only to have it fail again.