Review of ReclaiMe Pro Data Recovery Software

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So recently I was contacted by Elena at ReclaiMe data recovery software to try out their new Pro version. So here's what I found:

Right off I liked the feature that you can tell it what drives and drive types to scan before it goes and checks all the volumes on the system. This can be handy if you're multitasking and don't want to risk interrupting another process. You can also add in image files as well.

Picture 1.jpg

After that the devices are scanned for volumes

View attachment Picture 2.jpg

The next screen I wasn't as impressed with. Pretty basic physical/logical device selection which I wish had the logical volumes listed under their physical devices like you see in R-Studio. But all in all it's not bad.

Picture 3.jpg

The scan options I found has some great features. You can actually set the drive timeout during the scan (handy if you're a hack and don't clone first) Plus it supports all major filesystems.

View attachment Picture 4.jpg

For my test I used a clone of a drive with a badly damaged EXF4 fileystem. R-Studio and UFSExplorer were both able to piece together the bulk of the filesystem (just lost the names of most the root folders). So I thought it'd be a good comparison.

One feature that really impressed me was that the found folder structure populates as it's still scanning and you can actually browse through it to see what's been found. This can be very handy and save a lot of time as you can tell quickly if the desired root folder(s) have been found already.

For my test I paused it about 5 min in and to my surprise it had actually found a bit more data than either R-Studio or UFSExplorer (only a marginal amount, but still worth noting).

The following screen is the familiar folder tree with check boxes and a preview pane.

View attachment Picture 5.jpg

Picture 6.jpg

I really like how the preview pain is built right into the main window and it's very snappy (much faster than previewing in R-Studio)

The Hex Viewer/editor I found a bit un-impressive, but who in this business doesn't already have a dozen of those.

View attachment Picture 7.jpg

It also has the feature to find files based on name/extension and mark just those file types (might come in handy)

View attachment Picture 8.jpg

When it came time to actually copy the data, it seemed to go quite quickly. I like the fact that you can adjust the cache to help speed up the areas with tons of small files, or free up RAM if you're multitasking.

View attachment Picture 9.jpg

It also has features for imaging drives and RAID reconstruction that I haven't tried yet, but here's some screenshots courtesy of their webpage:

ReclaiMe-Pro-raid-recovery-parameters.png

ReclaiMe-Pro-content-analysis.png

ReclaiMe-Pro-raid-entropy.png

This entropy analysis looks like it might come in handy for determining stripe sizes.

I'm considering trying this one out just to see, though I must admit I have my doubts that it can clone anywhere near as well as ddrescue given that it relies on the Windows host controller. But still better than R-Studio (which crashes out and then deletes the entire image after hitting a few bad sectors).

ReclaiMe-Pro-disk-imager.png

All in all, it's one of the few newer data recovery programs I've actually been pretty impressed with. I still don't see any means to build in custom search algorithms or some of the other more advanced features that R-Studio has, but it's still a pretty good offering.

For me the biggest drawback I can see is the price:

Price.jpg

At nearly 5x the price of an R-Studio Network License it's asking quite a bit given that it's still missing some features. Personally I feel the price should be dropped to more of the $150-$200 range. But in the meantime I'm gonna enjoy my free 60 day trial key they gave me.

pclab

Hmmm never tested it.
Seems good. Any trial key they can provide for the users of the forum?

HaQue

the not blindly scanning everything at startup is good. Also seems a bit less busy, and a bit more intuitive. The mark multiple objects option page looks nice and clean, easy to use.

I am always wary of different DR programs aside from GDB and R-Studio, but this one seems good.

The feature I hold above all else isn't in the software, it is in the development...

if they are actively developing the DR part, and asking DR PPL what it needs/what is lacking etc and putting out updates often, then it goes a long way. GDB versions seem way too far apart, RTT is great at this, other DR software I don't know as I don't really look.

Thanks for the nice writeup, and kudos for ReclaimMe for providing it for the review

LarrySabo

The R-Studio Network Edition EULA says "- LICENSEE may not use the SOFTWARE for commercial gain of any kind," which means to me that one has to have a Technician license ($899 USD) to use R-Studio for commercial gain. Am I not understanding that correctly?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
That is true. But let's face it, most PC repair shops aren't going to buy a tech license when the network edition does everything except interface with DDI (how they force real data recovery guys to buy it).

I just think that perhaps they should have a few different versions at different prices. Perhaps disable the RAID functions and sell it for circa $150, a RAID edition for say $250, and then a tech license (which includes some extras like a real hex editor, ability to input custom search algorithms, etc) at their current price.

I think that would get more people to start using it, and later upgrade when they want more features.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
pclab":3ga9mqx8 said:
Hmmm never tested it.
Seems good. Any trial key they can provide for the users of the forum?

They said they will provide a trial to all users of this forum that want it but can't do that until later this month. I'll keep you posted if I hear back.

w.simon

Hello

I must admin very insteresting, it had success on a case here were other software failled.

Raid 0 recovery from buffallo linkstation Duo with Friend who know about tweeks and flipped drive.

Really interesting to have it in the tools box, i will try it a little more !

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I fixed the pictures on this thread today. Seems that pictures which were uploaded before going SSL were being rendered encrypted. Colorful, but not much use.