Top Secret Section

LarrySabo

The manufacturers already have forums accessible only to their users. Frankly, I don't think there's much chance of a generic "secrets" forum being very fruitful. Those keen for one are probably those most in need of the "secrets" and those with the secrets have no incentive to share with such people -- even if those people own a/the qualifying product. Sharing among "equals" probably would work but I bet that's a small, very select club. For novices, it's a tough club to get into.

What might work, is a tutorials section where training is offered, for a fee, and registrants'/participants' questions would be entertained any time after attending/purchasing the tutorial. Lecturers could offer whatever courses/tutorials they feel would be popular and these could be provided as videos rather than require a class quorum. Administrative nightmare and the videos would soon be appearing on YouTube or be re-sold, no doubt. Plus, the experts would be more interested in, and make more money at, running a DR business than playing trainer. Another thought, is offering case studies by and based on the experiences of those with more experience. I've found Jared's case studies of great interest. With more details and possibly augmented with video clips/screen grabs, they might be a viable training option for which a subscription could be charged/membership paid.

I'm not sure any of that would work or it would already be available. I suspect that sharing is done as an act of kindness and goodwill, or in return for a favour, not for monitary reasons.

I'll stop blathering now.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know. I've been quite surprised how much information guys are willing to share in a PM if you ask the right questions. They often just don't want to share some of the great techniques that give them an edge publically in a forum. But a forum with very limited access, might loosen some toungs.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
What about thus idea... to gain entrance you have to share at least one little known data recovery trick or "secret" via a PM to another member of the group. If the information is worthy of being posted in there, you get access to the section.

Thoughts?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, well I'd say let's all nominate a few people who we think should have access to the top secret section. I'll start by nominating:

lcoughey
jono
HaQue

Other nominations?

LarrySabo

pclab
w.simon

I don't know. I'm certainly not in a position to contribute anything the other nominees don't already know, but am flattered by the nomination. (Thanks, HaQue!) Looking at the members list, sorted by descending number of posts, it appears to me there is not yet a critical mass of activity by seasoned pros that would justify a "Secrets" sub-forum. One might garner more of such confidential information through PMs on HDD Guru. Unfortunately, they wouldn't be shared with others with a need to learn -- which I think is the objective here.

Perhaps if we think of the sub-forum as "DR-service-providers-only," intended to be used and viewed only by those in the DR business or engaged in DR research (whether seasoned pro or novice) with the undertaking that such information not be shared elsewhere, it might work.

Geez, maybe we should take up a collection so we can hire a lawyer to nail this down. LOL

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know that we need to exclude everyone who doesn't have a lot of secrets to contribute. It's more that I'd just like to have a place were we can share information we don't want publicly posted. So who is allowed in is really just a matter of who we all trust enough to have access and not go re-posting everything elsewhere.

I know Luke and Jono have both shared things with me that they requested not to be re-posted. And I've kept these things secret as requested. But, perhaps if we had a members only section, they might be willing to share some of this with others as well. That's my thinking.

So here's the list for now as I see it:

lcoughy
jono
larrysabo
HaQue
IRS
pclab
w.simon
and me ;)

Anyone I'm overlooking?