Time to Brush Up on Drobo Data Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Take a look at this advertisement I pulled from Tom's Hardware:
Perfect Disaster Pair.jpg

Drobo BeyondRAID (near impossible to recover) + Seagate (imminent drive failures) = [glow=red]NIGHTMARE!!![/glow]

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen that, and it's probably a feature that'll eventually get me to cough up the money to buy the program.

LarrySabo

I bought the Pro version and the program paid for itself quickly. A little slow, but great for XFS NASes.

Edit: ... and a lot cheaper than UFS Explorer Business.

LarrySabo

ScotchBroth":2c91yiqp said:
[post]5398[/post] If only it did ZFS too!
I'm too new/inexperienced at this to even know when I would run into ZFS, so it's not an issue for me, yet. Where is ZFS usually encountered?

lcoughey

Although I've had several calls about Drobo recoveries over the years, I've yet to find anyone who thinks their data is worth our minor data recovery rates to send one in. As most Drobo users are using the unit because they don't value their data enough to get a real RAID or NAS, it seems reasonable that they are going to be equally cheap when it comes to data recovery services.

I think the same goes for ZFS. The most common place for it, that I know of, is FreeNAS systems where the owner puts their critical data on the cheapest hardware possible.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I think I've done one, maybe two ZFS recoveries so far. Not very common, it's a FreeBSD file system.