WD3200AAKS-75L9A0

protech

Thanks in advance for your help. A customer dropped off a WD3200AAKS-75L9A0 PINCLITE. It had laud clicks. On visual inspection one head had fallen off so i swapped the heads.

Now the drive doesn't ID at all. On start up it makes slight recalibration noise (i hope) showing DRD DSC - can hear the motor start to spin-down.

The drive does not ID (no Model, SN, FW, or Size),The client swears they haven't touched the board :) - i checked a compatible board behaves nearly identically. I had backed up resources from the donner and so when trying to LDR file Loading and recalibrate it gave me the following.

Interested in your thoughts on next steps..

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 2,166

jol

protech":3vz0y3lz said:
On visual inspection one head had fallen off so i swapped the heads.
have you tried to disable the bad head ?

protech":3vz0y3lz said:
The client swears they haven't touched the board :)
never believe the client check for yourself

connect the PCB only
read the ROM
search the ROM (in HEX) for the WWN

pclab

If the client tried to power on several times the hdd, and the heads were as bad as you said, maybe already media damage...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
protech":32edzk5d said:
pclab":32edzk5d said:
Maybe heads not fully compatible....

Thanks for the reply
Compatibility criteria was: Full Model number, country and firmware.

How about the DCM code? Does the middle of it match?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
That should be a match as long as the date isn't too far off. Probably SA damage as pclab is suggesting. Maybe with hot swap you could read SA tracks through composite and do a smart hot swap, but may not work anyway.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
@jol I never realized the WWN was in the ROM code. I've tried finding other identifiers such as serial in the ROM before but never thought to look for that. Thanks!