WD USB with motor problem

pclab

Hi

I have a USB 1TB WD drive (don't remember the model right now) which seemed a case of stuck heads.
After I opened it, heads are fine and the problem is when I try to rotate the platters. They can do a 50% rotation, and the rest seems very stuck. After those 50%, they are free again.
I hope you can understand what I mean ehehhehe

I don't seen any other problems. What can this be? What do you suggest?
Thanks

LarrySabo

Sounds like bad spindle motor bearing to me. I assume all you can do is transplant the platters, HSA, magnets and PCB to a new HDA. I've never done it but will try, as a learning exercise, using the "tape method" and one of my spare drives.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes with enough spinning by hand you can eventually free it up enough to get it functioning. Doesn't always work but it's preferable to a platter transplant if there's multiple platters. I've even gone as far as to rig up a battery drill to keep spinning the platters until it was free enough to spin up on it's own.

w.simon

Hello

One or two time i have seen this on Helios and shesta famillie drive (2.5 vith 3 platers), it was droped drives and when i look to the platters they were twited, angle make then spin like a square) not easy to explain.

but i didn't continue the work on the drive because i would be out of budget.

Good Luck

Keep us updated about this