USB Wired backwards, tried replacing board, still Toshiba 500GB HDTC705XK3A1 Won't work.

I ordered a .2mm tip for my hacko, temp settings recomendation? also so desoldering braid, i have a big heatgun, should i buy one of those little pen sized ones? i'm trying to to get too much gear, but as you said, better safe then sorry.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I think I usually use hot air at around 360-375° C to rework them. I really wouldn't recommend trying to remove it using an iron and desolder braid. They use very high temp, lead free solder that doesn't wick easily. You're more likely to rip a pin off that way. A big heat gun will certainly remove it, but may also blow other components off the board given the tight space on this board (also why its important to keep airflow low). So a hot air station with a more precise tip will work best.

If you have any doubts about your soldering skills it might be best to do as pclab is suggesting and have someone with more experience and equipment handle it.

Alright, practiced and then swapped the chips, seemed to go fine, worked fast and used flux, and now it appears to recognize the device. I'm in the process of transferring all the files and backing them up. Thanks so much for all the help, y'all are lifesavers!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for posting an update. And congrats on your first real data recovery project being a success. Pretty soon you may have friends coming to you to recover their data too. I know that's how I got roped into this business in the first place