USB 3.1 Cards Hit The Market

HaQue

interesting, I hadn't heard much about 3.1
I wonder why, when usb3 was released in 2010, flash drive manufacturers and laptop vendors haven't just switched over and are still producing USB2.0 at a large rate. I would have thought this change wouldn't be all that hard to implement.

I wonder why they say in the spec "at a combined rate of 10Gps" ... you wouldn't be using USB in tandem would you?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No, I think the revision is more of a language update to be more efficient with data transfers. Was reading up about it a while back, in fact I think a couple docks I have from Startech already support it. I think it's just a more efficient way to send ATA commands VIA the USB protocol.

From what I read it allows the host controller to request a list of blocks to return rather than having to request one block at a time which creates latency over the USB. So the port is actually the same speed, but can effectively move data twice as fast.

lcoughey

5Gbps = 625MB/second
10Gbps = 1.25GB/second

I thinking the fastest I've ever seen USB 3 push is about 200MB/second (about 1.5Gbps), usually less than 100MB/second (800Mbps). So, what is the point of offering 10Gbps if we cannot even come close to pushing the 5Gbps throughput?

Is it just me? Are you getting better speeds?