Toshiba MD04ACA400 Data Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a new 3.5" Toshiba MD04ACA400 that came in for data recovery. Drive clicks like it either has bad heads or possibly G-List damage. So my question about this model for anyone who knows is:

1. Has anyone managed to build virtual translator for these in PC-3000? (I haven't updated to the latest version, but it isn't listed there anyway).
2. What parameters have you found helpful in matching heads for these new 3.5" Toshibas? (I'm assuming the part number is the best place to start, but it's all different form the traditional 2.5" models).

Any input you can offer will be a big help so I don't waste money buying parts that don't work.

LarrySabo

Without knowing anything about these, I would agree about IC10. I see from HDDGuru that you solved this case--congrats! No idea how to build a virtual translator but would be interested to read more about it.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't able to build the software translator, without a proper utility there's just no way to do that. But I was able to clear the G-list using another utility that was "close enough". :D

I was actually surprised that the clearing worked, but it's reading sectors now. Littered with bad sectors in some areas, but still getting most data.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, don't get too excited... it got to the 70% mark and shut down after one bad sector. Now, I can't clear the G-List and get it to work again.... I'm sure that I'll be able to get the rest of the data whenever Ace gets around to updating to support this drive and I can build a software translator for it... but this is a rush job.... GRRR!!!!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately in this case no. I didn't have a very clear description of what they needed(not one that made sense anyway), so I just started it from the beginning. By the time I got a better answer, drive had shut down and didn't read the most critical data I don't think.