Temperature for removing ROM chips

I killed a good working Toshiba ABD rom chip .Trying to prepare convert Sata to usb. for put in my customer's data . Only killed a hdd. Same temperature with others usually using 380-420 C. I have already swapped so many chip before. this is 2nd kill.
Now i am afraid about kill when recovery case.
Bye the way I realized that old type pcb's accept lower (I use 350-390C ) temperature.
New generations wants higher. (Using 390-420C)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I usually use higher temp but heat for less time. Typically I'm heating at 450C to 480C. But, you've got to coat the pins with flux so they heat quickly. It should only take about 30-40 seconds of heating before it can be removed. I don't think I've ever ruined a ROM chip doing it the way I do.

It's always best to read the ROM first before transfer so you have a backup (if the PCB is in working order to get a backup). ROM chips are cheap, lost data isn't.

Jared":ias6edt8 said:
I usually use higher temp but heat for less time. Typically I'm heating at 450C to 480C. But, you've got to coat the pins with flux so they heat quickly. It should only take about 30-40 seconds of heating before it can be removed. I don't think I've ever ruined a ROM chip doing it the way I do.

It's always best to read the ROM first before transfer so you have a backup (if the PCB is in working order to get a backup). ROM chips are cheap, lost data isn't.

Hmm.
I'll try this.