Strange WD Firmware Behavior

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So this is something I've never seen before. I was giving a second look at a case for another lab, since he thought he was going crazy. Now, I'm pretty sure I'm going crazy as well after seeing what I saw.

The drive is a Pinclite 320Gb drive. Has bad modules on both SA copies, but all the essential ones can be read by composite reading.

The copy on head 1 wasn't too bad, so I was hoping I could move around some of the SA modules to get one working copy and avoid having to do hot swap.

Now for the strange part. When I edited the dir module to move the module locations, the modules directory still showed everything back in its original places and didn't show the changes I'd made. I checked both copies of the dir by reading by ABA, and both copies showed the changes I had made (drive only has two heads). However, I found that if I read module 01 by ID, it had always reverted back to its original form before any changes.

I powered off/on, reloaded utility, re-wrote my modified module 01 by every method possible, but no matter what when read by ID it always is the unmodified version. Yet, by ABA it's clear that both copies have been modified by me.

So where the heck is the drive reading module 01 from? Backup copy in ROM or something?

Anyone else ever seen a drive read different information by ID than it does by ABA?

jol

are you saying that reading MOD 01 copy 0 by ID and reading MOS 01 copy 0 by ABA, is giving different results (ID gives without the changes and ABA gives with the changes)?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
jol":10mx8kz0 said:
are you saying that reading MOD 01 copy 0 by ID and reading MOS 01 copy 0 by ABA, is giving different results (ID gives without the changes and ABA gives with the changes)?

That's exactly right.