ST500DM002 stays BSY

protech

Hi,
A ST500DM002, 3F Pharaoh, doesn't click nor buzz. Stays BSY and doesn't spin down. HDD not Id'ed at all.
Terminal doesn't respond to Ctrl-z and gives the following. Any idea is much appreciated.

Boot 0x10M
Spin Up[0x00000000][0x0000B67C][0x0000BA10]
Trans.

Rst 0x10M
MC Internal LPC Process
Spin Up
(P) SATA Reset

hddguy

The terminal output looks normal, nothing obvious there. Sometimes these models will come ready after a prolonged state of BSY. If not, and you have no T> then you would need to make short circuit to retain T> to see what is going on with it.

protech

Ok, here is the reading after shorting pins. I did a few tests with Ctrl-Z.

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 6.015 secs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 3.720 secs
F3 2>
ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>V40
Nonresident GList 0 entries returned
Total entries available: 0
PBA Len Flags Phy Cyl Hd PhySctr SFI
Head 0: entries 17D slips 1A5
Head 1: entries 160 slips E1C
Total Entries 2DD Total Slips FC1

F3 T>/7

FYI: I left out the results from F3 T>V1

F3 7>X

Head 00 Resistance 017D
Head 01 Resistance 00CB

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Head 0 resistance looks a bit high. Could be nothing, but it's hard to say. Have you checked the contacts to be sure it's got a good connection?

lcoughey

I might be able to assist remotely, if you would like.

Edit: Looks like you already had assistance with this one in another thread.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know. I'm curious to hear what HDDGuy will come back with, he seems to know the in's and out's of these far better than I do. I would probably start with programming a replacement PCB just to be safe and rule it out. Then I suppose a head swap would be the next thing to try in case it is head 0 causing the issue.

Also, have you power cycled it since you shorted the read channel to get terminal? Sometimes, issues just seem to magically go away after that.