Scary drive

protech

This just showed up the other day enclosed in a WD My Passport casing...scared the hell out of me :shock: for real...i almost called the bomb squad :D

Attachments

• IMG_3783.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,754

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
hahah, wow! that's a creative way to spoof a My Passport. I'm surprised they didn't put a little fan in there to simulate the spinning disk... or did they sell it as an "SSD External".

protech

Inside is a 500GB flash drive, the funny thing is the client said he's been using it for 2 months without any problem. Turns out the only issue was the wire connecting to the external USB got loose...

hddguy

There is no 500GB capacity inside the flash. It is a vendor programmable controller and it is actually some low capacity which loops its actual size repeatedly to emulate sectors that do not exist. Assuming it is 8GB stick, writing beyond this location will actually begin writing at the start of the 8GB effectively overwriting the information.

for 500GB flash drive it would need at least 4 NAND chips.

Im curious, what controller is on the flash drive? I cant make it out in the image.

lcoughey

Maybe it has some really high tech Chinese encryption to allow 500GB of data to be stored on an 8GB NAND.